Team Just Disbanded - What Next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Yet another tryout thread...

Without getting into all the rigmarole, my daughter's fall team has just been disbanded.

Although there is one team not too far away that advertises solo tryouts, the other teams I know of all have open tryouts...tryouts which have now concluded since school has either started already or will be starting this coming week throughout our region.

The question is this: Under any circumstances, would it be appropriate to seek an individual tryout for her when all the other players on a given team have earned their spots in an open tryout?

At this point, it's likely that most rosters would be full anyway, but I just wanted to get some feedback from the forum before even proceeding down that path. For the time being, I've only spent a couple of hours looking into whether she can get into a rec league at this late date, but haven't received any positive leads yet on that.

She is prepared for the possibility of having to sit the season out, but I readily admit that I'm not.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
You are kidding right? By all means call as many coaches as possible and see if they need another player. Lots of teams do not fill up from tryouts and are still looking for players the following May. Lots of coaches take 12 or so then hold out for one or two real impact players or heavy hitters, etc. I wouldnt say you necessarily get a solo tryout, maybe, but maybe you practice with a team and get evaluated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
110% agree with mudbug...talk to the coaches, explain the situation and see what happens. I guarantee there will be coaches looking for more kids in May.

May 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice, guys. It was a pretty time-consuming process, but we finally managed to land her a spot and she'll get to play right away. We're going to have to drive 45 minutes each way for practice, but once my wife watched her pitching the other night, she had no problem signing off on twice-a-week trip, including games.

During the past couple of weeks - when it looked like she might not get the opportunity to play - our daughter has really shown me how much she wanted it. Although I wasn't happy about the stress (and worked hard not to let her see it), this situation may have been a blessing in disguise.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
worked hard not to let her see it...

Why? You are being a good father, helping her to achieve what *SHE* wants. No need to make her feel guilty, but there is no reason to hide your efforts on her behalf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1