Team gear: MIZUNO only!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
So DD us looking to start her second season in TB. We have been attending a few more tryouts this time around declining offers from teams I didn't feel all that confident about. Last weekend DD tried out for a popular TB organization in our area. By far the best overall fit for DD with 1 or 2 exceptuins. Let's just say right now they are the front runners with only 2 tryouts left for DD. So this team is apparently sponsored by Mizuno. In my conversation with HC when he tells me he wants DD on his team, he tells me that everything needs to be Mizuno. We go down the list.

Cleats: Check

Socks: (DD loves GLove socks) Coach says ok as long as the logo is hidden.

Pants: Check (DD loves mizuno pants. Only pair made for girls that have belt loops)

Jersey: Check (included in startup fee)

Helmet: Check (includeed un startup fee)

Fielding glove: Half a Check (DD's catchers glove is Mizuno, not her fielding glove, DD loves her Akedema AJB74 or something like that.)

Bat bag: Check (just happened to have a plane black mizuno bag)

Batting gloves: Check (again just happened to have a pair)

Game Bat: Crap! Just spent $300 on a Louisville Xeno a month ago. (Coach says he has a handful of mizuno bats the team uses and DD can use her bat for practices. Kinda defeats the purpose of dropping all that $$$ on a bat when it's only being used in practice)

Catchers Gear: Double Crap! We have been through gear like no other and finally have come to a setup DD loves to death. Wilson pro shock helmet, Wilson Promotion chest protector and Easton Mako legs. She absolutely hates the Mizuno Samurai gear.

I get it that some teams push gear but it's kind of a big pill to swallow when intrested in playing for that team. Anyway just wanted to vent as always and hopefully hear what you guys think about sponsored teams pushing gear. I'm sure there are a number of you guys who have had to make this decision considering this is one of the top 3-5 TB organizations in SoCal

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I know two organizations that are "sponsored" by Mizuno. For the top 18U team it means everything is provided for free. For the younger teams you basically buy Mizuno gear to offset the cost of the free stuff. I am not a big fan of this set up because to me outside of uniforms, cleats, and bags pretty much every other item has a better option available.

I totally agree on the Samurai gear. My daughter hates it because it is too bulky.

I feel your pain, My daughter plays for a organization that is Mizuno sponsored, We had just got a new CF 6 before she joined the team, and decided to sell it, but I will say the Nighthawk is a very good bat, I had my doubts at first, but it is a good bat. Usually when an organization is sponsored, you are able to get some pretty good deals on things, so that should help a bit, but I do feel your pain.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
AFAIK, there is only one big TB org for the age group of your DD (12U) in So Cal that mandates using one manufacturer's gear, and from what I have seen, I don't think all of their teams are rigid with the mandate. If you're really interested in this team for your DD, I would suggest having a conversation with the HC, and find out if this is a make-or-break condition of her being on the team.

I don't know if this is the case, but I would not be surprised if the gear manufacturer requirement was tied into a kick-back to the org.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it is totally tied to a kick back to the org. Whether that means that the 16-18 year olds get a free ride for all the travel they have to do, thus letting the org recruit top talent or a direct check to the account of the org prez. It doesn't matter though, all the big orgs have some gotcha. I paid $70 for a 10 dollar jersey recently because our org has an exclusive relationship with an apparel shop. My overpaying lets the 18u gold team play for free. I know it is different in other parts of the country, but for the top 10 orgs in SOCal...this is how it goes. They are going to get you somehow so you may as well just accept it.

If your daughter is a sought after pitcher you can hint at how financially stressing this investment is and there is a very high chance she will get most/all of that for free or highly discounted.

Sep 29, 2014
Seems like a big deal for catchers since they are the ones stuck buying extra gear that no one else on the team has to buy, maybe if this is really where you think she belongs bring it up to the coach since it is basically a catchers only penalty, you should at least get gear for a big (50%) discount, no cheesy 10%, then sell the old gear to someone and hopefully should not come out hurting too bad. I know all girls love there own glove but fear not my DD love her Mizuno fielders glove.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I would have the talk with the coach and explain the love for the gear she has and why it helps make her a better catcher because it is not bulky. If that doesn't work, I would then ask to see if they had some discounts as mentioned above.

Lastly, see how the next 2 tryouts go and then decide.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I would have the talk with the coach and explain the love for the gear she has and why it helps make her a better catcher because it is not bulky. If that doesn't work, I would then ask to see if they had some discounts as mentioned above.

Lastly, see how the next 2 tryouts go and then decide.

For sure, I really liked the coach and I explained to him that DD had other tryouts. He was 100% cool with it and gave me time to decide which I really respect. DD is a player without a team right now and he said she has a team here if we want it. I didn't push on the gear thing at the time, just seemed like the wrong time to make a deal out of it. I'm sure if we ultimately decide on the team there will be more dialog with coach and we can get a better understanding of what we can and can't keep.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00