Team drills and T work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I have two DD. One who's softball days are behind her and one that is 11. I've been involved in softball for 12-13 years and I see the same repetitive drills for hitting with all the coaches saying how T work is important but never seem to incorporate it into team work. If they do there's no instruction on technique.

The coaches will also tell the girls to do T work at home. What's the goal of the T work if the coaches don't or can't explain a proper swing?

Oct 21, 2012
I agree with statements above. Don't rely on other coaches for proper swing teaching. I've had wife send videos while I was at work of dd's practice. DD's swing wasn't good, but hit the ball good. You good hear coaches good hit good swing. I was shaking my head at work, fussing cause I knew I would be working to fix the bad swing they were complementing on. I've been working hard to change her swing and it's getting better, but I'm fighting two ends: DD and coaches. I've seen soooo many times hitting coaches say good job just because it was a solid hit. A good hit doesn't mean a good swing automatically.

Chad

Oct 27, 2015
What was it the Coach was teaching her. Might it have been a part of the swing she got right not the swing as a whole?

Another issue, there seems to be few absolutes in hitting (depending on who you talk to). I've been frustrated as to what is needed and what is opinion and style. It feels like martial arts and everyone has a different way on how to attack. I've been wrong a number of times following one persons method of hitting only to find out it was wrong (or parts of it were).

The question I have is what are the absolutes that should be taught during team practices and what are the parts you leave alone?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have two DD. One who's softball days are behind her and one that is 11. I've been involved in softball for 12-13 years and I see the same repetitive drills for hitting with all the coaches saying how T work is important but never seem to incorporate it into team work. If they do there's no instruction on technique.

The coaches will also tell the girls to do T work at home. What's the goal of the T work if the coaches don't or can't explain a proper swing?

As you know it depends on how many coaches are present. We have 2 coaches, typically 1 is throwing front toss (either in a net or an the field), and the other does either bunting or other drills, so the girls do tee work on their own during practice. Now I preach to them all the time about having a purpose when they do tee work. Work on problem locations. Even at 18U, some do some just go through the motions on the tees.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What was it the Coach was teaching her. Might it have been a part of the swing she got right not the swing as a whole?

Another issue, there seems to be few absolutes in hitting (depending on who you talk to). I've been frustrated as to what is needed and what is opinion and style. It feels like martial arts and everyone has a different way on how to attack. I've been wrong a number of times following one persons method of hitting only to find out it was wrong (or parts of it were).

The question I have is what are the absolutes that should be taught during team practices and what are the parts you leave alone?

Consider using the Hanson Principle. It can help you filter out misinformation.

Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd