Teaching to defend the rundown??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2010
I need your help. How do you teach the defense of the run down? I guess what I am really looking for is, when one of the defenders tosses the ball passed the runner, where do they go to get back in line? Where the came from or do they go to the back of the line where they were heading?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I teach no more than 3 throws during a rundown. But for your question we have them peel away and continue forward after they throw the ball and get into the rotation.

Mar 9, 2010
Thanks, tell me more about the three throws. Do you just run them back to the base they came from after three throws?
The question really came up last night at our practice. Situation: Runner on third, ball hit back to pitcher. She throws to third and catches the runner between home and third. 1st throw, 3B to C, C runs runner back toward 3B and tosses to 3B, P has filled in at home side. The question is where does the C go? In line behind SS at 3B or back to home side behind the first baseman?

Dec 28, 2008
1. I like the fielder who the runner is coming at to be the one to call for the throw ... "NOW". It is her job to judge when the player has actually committed to coming at her, and call for the throw so that she'll receive it just in time to make the catch and then apply the tag or get the runner in 1-2 steps.
2. Good practice for run downs is a good old fashioned dart board. I want crisp, straight, laser like snaps.
3. In your situation ... catcher would get the heck out of the baseline in a hurry, then continue towards third base because that is where their momentum would be taking them. (Reason I say she better get the heck out of the way in a hurry is that I teach runners to target the player that just released the ball when they turn around and try and draw obstruction on her. Once the fielder got rid of the ball, she has no legal right to be in the base path as that belongs to the runner and typically those players throw the ball and hang around to long to see what happens instead of vacating and that makes them really good targets for a free base or in this case a free run.)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks, tell me more about the three throws. Do you just run them back to the base they came from after three throws?
The question really came up last night at our practice. Situation: Runner on third, ball hit back to pitcher. She throws to third and catches the runner between home and third. 1st throw, 3B to C, C runs runner back toward 3B and tosses to 3B, P has filled in at home side. The question is where does the C go? In line behind SS at 3B or back to home side behind the first baseman?

Just my opinion, In your play, after the pitcher throws it to 3rd, and the runner is caught between home and 3rd, I want F5 to immediately throw it to F2, I don't want F5 making the runner to go towards home. This does not allow the runner to score, the worst outcome of this is the runner is back on 3B. Now for the throws, I tell them a maximum of 3 throws. It shouldn't take more than that to get the out (that is of course if they can throw and catch).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06