teaching a 10 y/o I/R??!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My daughter started to converr to I/R and brush interference right before the summer season started playing on a 10u travel team. After her first lesson with new PC my wife didn't want her to change in season I felt the new PC made a lot of sense and didn't want her to keep training her body to do the wrong things. So talked to my daughter asked her if she was willing to TRY it. We got lucky the PC worked with two of my daughters favorite NCAA pitchers my daughter said if he coached player A and player B i'll try anything he says. Now my daughter wanted to change summer was kinda rough at first then got better by the end of the summer now in fall she is doing very well! Glad my daughter didn't wait to change! I will say this though her team PC does not like my daughters "style" and almost every other pitcher we see uses hello elbow. It had me second guessing her private PC came on this forum asked a question then found out how good her private PC really is. Now I will never second guess him. My daughter had more sense than me she said if he coached player A and player B to college than he must be right. My daughter was willing and wanted to change make sure your daughter feels the same way

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
2.) You may find out that the coach actually does throw correctly but doesn't teach what HE/SHE does. If so, you can review the film with the coach and encourage HE/SHE to start teaching your DD to pitch they way HE/SHE throws the ball.........This may force the coach to re-think HIS/HER teaching methods. Maybe you can create an I/R coach in your area for the benefit of others!

Yeah, good luck with that. Here is how this conversation goes:

YOU--> "When you throw you don't point your elbow in the motion even if you end up there. See here in the video of you pitching."

PC--> "I stopped throwing fastballs in games as I mastered other pitches. You have to learn to follow through with your elbow as the base fundamental of pitching then as you progress we move onto other pitches. You can't get to the other pitchers until you have the basics down. That is why we start here, just like how I learned and look at the success I had."

Another example:
A very popular PC locally teaches HE to the beginner pitchers and then totally unintentionally teaches IR the moment he feels they are ready to learn a drop ball. And every non-fastball pitch he teaches when you break it down uses IR - but all his pitchers still warm up with elbow up. Just once they hit about 12 months instruction with him, the pitchers that go to him rarely throw a 'fastball' in a game.

He of course doesn't call it HE or IR or anything else. And his 'movement pitches' are not totally inline with what we discuss on this forum but the end result is very, very similar in form. He has a long history of getting pitchers into colleges of all levels and many of his pitchers have multiple state championships. And when you talk to him you realize he has absolutely no idea why he teaches what he teaches. 20+ years have taught him various tricks and cues he passes on and he intuitively knows when something is wrong and how you could go about correcting it - and just length of experience has given him the opportunity to know what does and doesn't work - but he couldn't explain why it works, except that it does and that the success his pitchers have had speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
My intro to pitching info was here. I had no idea so many people still teach HE, because this forum has do much info on IR. It was funny watching my DD at Jennie Finch's camp. She'd throw a great pitch and Jennie would tell her not to forget hello elbow. Lol. So she would throw the same pitch but bring her hand up to her ear after and get praise.

At a tournament this weekend on another team I heard a dad coaching his daughter, let me see that elbow. It seems very strange to me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I hear it all the time on this board but, honestly, I have always been rather surprised by it. Because, for the most part it seems that here in OK most pitchers throw across their body and do not force the hello elbow finish. Maybe our state is just lucky to have people who know how to pitch. Now, the detailed information you can receive here at DFP to really figure it all out which I don't think a lot of the same instructors I speak of understand... is truly amazing!

Oct 9, 2020
Man, so I am also new to this.. My daughter is 10 and I have shared video with a couple of people that know better than me, and she is no doubt being taught HE. This past weekend we began discussing I/R method and how it will be a positive change for her, she was very receptive. She has had a lot of success with the wrong method, throwing 68% strikes last year and is around 48-50 on her fastball, has a good flip change and other pitches are off and on.. But I do feel like she is hitting a plateau, and with reading these articles I know that change is needed. Just watching all of the high level pitchers and the style we use is really no where to be found, so we decided that it was time for a change...

Feb 12, 2022
One thing that I think really helped my daughter was when learning/trying something new to have her pitch into a net that was just in front of her rather than having her pitch to me from the mound. It helped her focus more on the various drills and less on whether or not a pitch was a ball or a strike. She would get very frustrated when every pitch wasn't a strike and it really effected her mentally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06