Target

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not the store, but the point of aim.

Up until this year my DD threw a fastball and a change. This year she is learning a drop curve and a peel drop. My question is this. Should the catcher hold her mitt where she wants the ball to end up, or where the pitcher is initially aiming for release. My thought is the mitt should be where the ball ends up and the pitcher uses a different reference point for her initial aiming, such as the catchers shoulder.

What do you do?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
You'll get more called strikes if the glove doesn't move or moves very little to frame the pitch. Catcher should set up where she wants the pitch. This also gives the umpire the oportunity to set up and get a good look at the pitch without the catcher moving her glove or body in his way.

Sep 3, 2009
From a catcher's dad.. when my dd has caught her pitchers at their lessons or in practice, the pitchers would typically ask her to hold her glove a certain way, and/or in a certain position that worked well for them. My dd just got accustomed to asking when she was catching for a new pitcher. A majority of them seem to like the mitt just below the batter's knees. Of course inside/outside was dependent on the pitch called.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Put the glove where you want the ball. For a change up it wouldn't or shouldn't be uncommon to have the glove touching the ground.

Jul 26, 2010
Some pitchers learn to throw to different targets, for instance the catchers shoulder, or her facemask, or her shoe, ect. Others want the glove to move.

Whatever your strategy, pick a small spot on the target (like a dot on the glove) rather then the whole glove. This will help with focus and accuracy.

-w

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Have pitcher and catcher practice points drill (4 corners of strike zone)
Catcher needs to 'sell' the pitch by holding the glove in place each pitch.
I teach my pitcher/catcher to run the points to the first few batters where possible.
If pitcher can show she has very good control/accuracy early in the game, it
seems as we get more calls for marginal pitches 'on the edge' later in the game.
I stress the importance of the pitcher/catcher relationship dynamics. The catcher
carries as much responsibility as pitcher to control the game

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd