Taking over head coach position.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
I have taken over the head coach position on a 1st year 16U TB team. I have taken the best players from 2 teams, and formed 1, mainly because these girls really want to venture out and play more competetive ball. And, their parents are on board with this.

One of the things I really want to do is get them in college exposure tournaments. Maybe 2 to 4 in 2012.

But, I know there is much more to it than just getting them exposed. There has to be contact, and I have to make them known.

Other than just exposing them, and registering them on the NCAA Clearinghouse, and Capt U, what other avenues should I be taking?

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. I want to do right by these girls.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Other than just exposing them, and registering them on the NCAA Clearinghouse, and Capt U, what other avenues should I be taking?

Since this is your first year as coach, you have to be realistic about what you can and can't do. IMHO, your main job is to educate the girls about college recruiting.

The key is to determine their level of play and then find a suitable school. Most girls want to play for UCLA or Alabama, but, it probably isn't going to happen. So, you need to remind them of other schools--Jucos, NAIA, D2 and D3.

Sit down with them and really find out what they want to do and then offer some suggestions as to where they might go play. Help them do a video and help them contact coaches. Be realistic about their abilities.

Jun 16, 2010
exposure

They must do it, you cannot. You can help by contacting and talking to coaches when they arent able too, at tournaments, etc.

Tell them to order a copy of Aradis book, and read it with their parents. They need to discuss openly what they want for college, what the parents can afford to contribute, etc. That may narrow choices down significantly. It does no good to target out of state schools if you cant afford the increased cost for a partial scholarship, or even no scholarship. However, some schools waive out of state tuition for certain majors, or even athletes, or students from various states/localities that have reciprocal agreements. Do your research before you waste your time on X university you cannot afford, when you could have gone to Y if you targetted them.

Most players receive no scholarship. Parents need to be prepared to possibly get aid package offers that are far less than they have been dreaming of the last few yrs, or the players may need to step down a notch or to even JC to get more.

In the end, it boils down to what the girl wants out of college. Some want to go to a well known major university to have the whole college experience, exciting fall football season, etc. Others want a small quiet religious school with high academic standards. Tell them that dont ever go somewhere you arent excited too just to play ball. It is hard work, many freshman quit because they dont get to play and get tired of working hard for nothing. They need to understand the difference between a "starter" , and a "role player" that may not see much playing time.

"Exposure" is a bit of a myth..for many girls. Exposure doesnt just occur by playing events. Coaches generally attend events with a list of names they intend to see, and dont have time to window shop.

The girls must first get their attention if they want to be considered , mail profiles, videos, transcripts, emails, etc, Be direct, a college head coach at a big school recieves hundreds of profiles.

But the absolute best thing they can do is attend camps at the schools they are interested in. The coaches will see them for several hours and will determine if they need to see more. A few girls get offers on the spot at camps while still on campus. You can easily spend several thousand dollars to attend camps when you are a junior. (Dont target schools you arent qualified to play for with this approach.)

When they are at a camp on a coaches campus, they should maximize the time, speak to the coach, and tell the coach they are interested in school there and the team. Ask about needs for their position their year, if they would fit into their needs. If they are qualified to play at their level. If not, recommend a level or school they could play for. In some cases they will call another coach FOR YOU and tell them theyve got someone they may want to see. The coaching world is pretty small.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA