Taking live batting practice before the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Whiffles for the older girls, squishy balls for the younger. We usually try to find an open field if available or a batting cage.

Feb 3, 2011
Are some of you saying that there are teams not swinging bats at all before games? I have seen that with some inexperienced rec or travel coaches, but they're the exception, not the norm. Most teams I know get the bats warmed up and more and more coaches are learning to eliminate side toss from pre-game.

May 13, 2012
I use the wiffle balls. I throw not lob underhand from 15-20 ft. yes they do sting. I think it helps both the hitters and the hitters getting even with coachs.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
As others have said it has depended on time. I have played quite a few fp tourneys and if we are the first game or no game before us we would have time for live bp but thats really the only way. I do think it helps quite a bit so no argument on that.

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
Bobby, good idea, but for most that would be impossible at the varsity level. Maybe the home team could, but how and where would the visiting team do live ( pitching ) batting practice? Then who would do the pitching? Most HS only have 1 possible 2 decent varsity pitchers, you wouldn't want to wear them out pitching batting practice right before a game.

Maybe I sould ask how your varsity does it, I might learn a new trick. :)
I was fortunate enough to be able throw good underhand BP. U don’t have enough time to take BP at away games so I had r girls come in before their classes started to get r hitting in. Hitting is the hardest part of the game so we hit 6 days a week.

Apr 28, 2019
Playing Major Men's Fastpitch & coaching varsity girl's softball the 1st thing I noticed is how many teams fail to take live batting practice before their games or even in their practices. I would like to hear all the comments on this. Thanks.

Bobby B
I agree. It should be a given both baseball/softball HS teams supply a home/away batting cage.
The coach(s) could throw BP behind a screen.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We throw before every game. We have 3 coaches, including me, who can get it up there with some stuff on it. We have two cages and our players get a lot of swings in before a game. Typically, we offer one of the cages when the opposition shows up. Seldom do they use them. Most teams have a home and away routine and you just can't count on getting the use of a cage on the road. I would say that this past year, we were allowed to use someone else's cage five times in 30+ games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16