Taking it easy on weaker teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I just found out our first game this weekend is against the same team that started this whole discussion. I hope they have improved.

I would talk to the other coach and tell him/her that you are treating the whole game like a scrimmage and put your weakest batters first in the batting order, have them play the most important positions, start your 3rd or 4th pitcher, have them practice switch hitting, etc.

I have a problem with the umpire telling you to call off the dogs "or else". IMO its none of his business, he is there to enforce the rules period and should not threaten your team.

Good luck this weekend! Let us know what happens.

Oct 27, 2009
No improvement, maybe worse than before?

No improvement in the team we saw today, final score 18-0. You could see the look in their eyes before the game started. "Oh no here we go again!" We had our girls play positions they had never played before and it still didn't matter. The worst part is that effected our next game, we won by one run against a team we should have beaten easily, but it was clear that our girls were flat.

Jun 6, 2009
No improvement in the team we saw today, final score 18-0. You could see the look in their eyes before the game started. "Oh no here we go again!" We had our girls play positions they had never played before and it still didn't matter. The worst part is that effected our next game, we won by one run against a team we should have beaten easily, but it was clear that our girls were flat.

Unfortunately, not an uncommon result.

Oct 27, 2009
After the game I spoke with their coach and told her that my daughter would be willing to guest pitch for them sometime if they would like. They politely said thank you and said they would let us know. Afterwards I wonder if it may have sounded condescending. I didn't mean it that way. I just felt bad for the girls on that team. It can not be fun to get beaten that way repeatly. Did I cross the line in making that offer?

May 12, 2008
Unfortunately, not an uncommon result.

Yes true. I would try to use it as a learning experience. Point out the let down, ask the girls what they could do differently to avoid that next time. Just being aware will likely help. It's something they will see again in their career. Use this opportunity to train that aspect of their mental game.

Feb 6, 2009
This is a pretty good thread. Had a couple thoughts.
One of the things that sometimes makes this tricky is tournament play. What to do on Saturday's when every run counts. And on top of that, if you only have two stud pitchers minimizing innings during a tournament is important so every mercy game can be important. It's hard to keep bashing another team and when you're up 13-0 but a 15-0 mercy can be important in the middle of a summer tournament. Also hard to blame the tournament coordinator about the talent at the tournaments. My daughter's team played in a bunch of B tournaments this year but in reality we were a non recruited A level team. It happens sometimes. The girls have played together for 4 years. Good coaching and very good pitching/offense/defense. We placed 2nd in the B states in NY and lost to an A team that won a bunch of A tourny's this year. We lost 6-2 and had already beaten another A recruited team in the State semis. Point is, I've seen very bad A teams at A tourny's that should be playing B level and very good B teams at B tourny's that should be at A level. The coordinator is just taking the teams as they sign up.

May 12, 2008
This is a pretty good thread. Had a couple thoughts.
One of the things that sometimes makes this tricky is tournament play. What to do on Saturday's when every run counts. And on top of that, if you only have two stud pitchers minimizing innings during a tournament is important so every mercy game can be important. It's hard to keep bashing another team and when you're up 13-0 but a 15-0 mercy can be important in the middle of a summer tournament.

Those would be perfectly good reasons to go hard imo.

O

Oside

I really have no problem with lopsided scores as long as the players on the winning team are humble about it. Instruct the parents to lay low - cheer good play but don't celebrate a slaughter. I think it's the losing coach and parents of the losing players to manage emotions - encourage the players to get better. After all, they would have just witnessed an example of quality play - a worthy goal for themselves.

Dec 28, 2008
One coach I saw recently had the girls continue to hit and run the hit out as best they could. If they could get a triple, they did it. Then they intentionally stepped off the base while the pitcher was on the mound. That way they each got the hits they earned without running up the score, and without losing their frame of reference to attack the ball and run hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA