Taking High School Sophomore Season Off vs. Recruitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Absdad, I'm actually glad your DD has decided to play. One thing I'd have to ask is, did you play HS sports? If so then you should understand its not really about the recruitment, and sometimes it's not about the competition. It's about belonging to a group of friends and representing your HS, that time will never come back around in life. Even though you're looking at it from a valid view of "is it worth all this", you don't want to take that time away from your child. HS is a special few years and for most it's the last time we can have fun with almost zero responsibilities and the pressures of adulthood.

Well said. ... I was probably harsh in my remarks, as I can get defensive about HS ball. My daughter has played only middle school ball, but she actually enjoys that more than travel ball at the moment (I know that's unusual.) But for all the reasons that you just stated, she is motivated to play on her HS team some day and sees travel ball as the avenue that will get her on the varsity as quickly as possible. Fortunately, the HS team is really good. I don't think she'll mind JV because she likes her potential teammates and coaches a lot. I know many see JV or even varsity as a waste of time for really good TB players, but if something is fun, it's not a waste of time (assuming it's legal).

Sep 3, 2009
Absdad, I'm actually glad your DD has decided to play. One thing I'd have to ask is, did you play HS sports? If so then you should understand its not really about the recruitment, and sometimes it's not about the competition. It's about belonging to a group of friends and representing your HS, that time will never come back around in life. Even though you're looking at it from a valid view of "is it worth all this", you don't want to take that time away from your child. HS is a special few years and for most it's the last time we can have fun with almost zero responsibilities and the pressures of adulthood.

My brother and I, his two sons, and my daughter all have played college ball ( or will start next fall ) AND we all played HS sports. Some of us multiple HS sports. I'm telling you this because there is PLENTY of time for exposure during the off seasons of HS sports. Yes you have to plan and make sure you enter the right tourneys for your DD's personal prefference, but don't panic, it's relatively easier than it sounds.

I do wish you the best of luck, enjoy this time with your daughter and try not to make recruiting a "job". Life is too short.

Yep, I played baseball all through school. Never did any recruiting, things just weren't like they were now. I get the whole "belonging to a group, and school pride, etc". Enjoyed that myself. But times have changed a little, and there ARE opportunities out there I think.

My DD will do what she wants, which is most likely play HS ball this fall. I'm ok with that. I'm just here venting away from my DD's ears. ;) I don't want to influence her decision; we just presented her the facts, and now she can make her own educated decision, and we'll back her regardless.

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe I am just missing something but aren't most college coaching staffs pretty busy in March, April and May trying to win ball games? While they are always recruiting I think there is a reason most showcases don't start until after college season is over.

We're in a fall state, so most recruiting is still in full swing.

Aug 24, 2011
Not that there is no truth in what you say, but if I were a coach and knew that a sophomore looked down on the quality of play and was concerned that she was missing recruiting opportunities, I'd probably keep her on the JV and go with the loyal senior.

I love all of these girls worrying about their recruiting opportunities when they can't make the varsity team as a sophomore. I know there are exceptions in softball hotbeds but if you can't make your high school varsity softball team as a sophomore what chances does the girl have to play Division I.

Just go play softball. Make your teammates better. Maybe the No. 1 catcher gets hurt.

Does everything have to be based around landing a scholarship?

Sep 29, 2010
Dont do it. Its a bad joo-joo. Everyone will talk about it behind your back. If she wants to play Varsity then she's gotta take her lumps now and suck it up until her time comes or give up high school softball altogether.

As far as recruiting, I am pretty sure most colleges could care less about High School stats for 99% of the country.

Also, Best advise I can give you is make sure your daughter can hit. My daughter was the only freshman to make the varsity squad last year because she could hit. She spent the whole year as a DH. Never complained once. This past year she was the starting centerfielder because it was her turn after turnover from the year before with graduations and such.

Sep 3, 2009
I love all of these girls worrying about their recruiting opportunities when they can't make the varsity team as a sophomore. I know there are exceptions in softball hotbeds but if you can't make your high school varsity softball team as a sophomore what chances does the girl have to play Division I.

Just go play softball. Make your teammates better. Maybe the No. 1 catcher gets hurt.

Does everything have to be based around landing a scholarship?

I think you're making alot of broad assumptions (you know the saying right?), so let me help you out. Large high schools generally do have large numbers of girls competing for a few spots. Only a few SR's graduating each year. You think that if a player isn't any good, that's why they'd be on JV as a sophmore? Forgive me, but that's kind of an ignorant statement don't you think?? I know girls who didn't make varsity until their Jr year, and they were D1 commits. I also know girls who started varsity their freshman year and never played an inning of college ball. What's your point?

And as far as scholarships go, I checked back through the thread, and you were the only one that I noticed mentioning a scholarship. Everything doesn't have to be about, and shouldn't be about, scholarships. Unless of course you're talking about academic scholarships. Most people who don't know any better get them confused, and think that is all there is to playing college ball. I've learned long ago in the recruiting process to expect to have to pay for EVERYTHING, and then if there is something that comes up, it's just a little icing on the cake. ;)

Jul 2, 2013
I think you're making alot of broad assumptions (you know the saying right?), so let me help you out. Large high schools generally do have large numbers of girls competing for a few spots. Only a few SR's graduating each year. You think that if a player isn't any good, that's why they'd be on JV as a sophmore? Forgive me, but that's kind of an ignorant statement don't you think?? I know girls who didn't make varsity until their Jr year, and they were D1 commits. I also know girls who started varsity their freshman year and never played an inning of college ball. What's your point?

And as far as scholarships go, I checked back through the thread, and you were the only one that I noticed mentioning a scholarship. Everything doesn't have to be about, and shouldn't be about, scholarships. Unless of course you're talking about academic scholarships. Most people who don't know any better get them confused, and think that is all there is to playing college ball. I've learned long ago in the recruiting process to expect to have to pay for EVERYTHING, and then if there is something that comes up, it's just a little icing on the cake. ;)

Flipper14 makes a good point. The very first question was about college recruitment.

Part of becoming a high school ... then college player is learning to "wait your turn". Unless this player is playing for a top notch high school team, she is showing early signs of not being a "college" player. Freshman and/or sophomore years are about battling for position. Then come playoff time become the DP (DH) for the playoff run.

Skip out on an early year HS season, and in most cases, other players will jump ahead of you and you will be battling for a position you might have already "earned" as a sophomore. That is why seniors have their spot. Most HS's won't allow hot shot sophomores jump established seniors.

Sure skip a season. Only EXPECT other young players to jump ahead in line.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
If the primary goal is to play in college and if she is on a good travel ball team that can play in recruiting/showcase tournaments in the fall just skip HS ball altogether. If that is the type of team that will talk about her behind her back if she doesn't play, does she really even need to play for them at all?

On the other hand, if the goal is to eventually play varsity and be a varsity star... she probably should play her sophomore year. Those girls with her on JV will likely be the same ones she is with on Varsity when she is a Junior and Senior. HS ball can be weird and political. It's not always about talent. A lot of it seems to be seniority or who the coach likes or feels they need to be loyal to. Makes it very hard for some underclassmen to make a team with some stud already at their position. The only option for that underclassmen is to learn another position or just become so much better that there leaves no doubt. Even then; it doesn't always work out.

I'm sure its a little bit of both, play in college and varsity star... in the end, I'm sure either decision will be fine as long as your DD is happy with it. Let us know what you eventually decided.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi