Taking High School Sophomore Season Off vs. Recruitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
If she wants to take her sophmore year off I say let her. Every single season since we started playing competitive softball we are told it is the most important season ever, you can't afford to skip it, and thats how it will be until we stop playing. By the way you describe her love for the game and how hard she works, when she tries out her junior year she won't have a problem making the varsity team. If the Head coach lets complaining parents decide who makes the team because they resent your DD for not playing JV her sophmore year then maybe she can just keep skipping high school ball and focus on her club team from that point on!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Story time! My DD has been a top catcher for a good TB team since 14U. HS varsity first 2 years - she didn't catch a game. This year FY in college - she didn't catch a game. Leading into both situations she read the writing on the wall and worked hard to develop her IF and OF skills and told the coaches that while she preferred catcher, she would play anywhere they wanted. She's played every game since starting HS. Those first two HS years, she played every position except pitcher. This year in college she played 1B, 2B, LF, CF, RF, and DP and is prepared next year to take over behind the plate for the graduating senior.

Moral of the story: A player with a good bat, good attitude, and positional flexibility leave a coach no option but to find her a place in the line up.

Aug 14, 2011
All good points. It won't directly affect her recruitment. But kids who don't go out for teams because they don't think they'll play have always grated on me like nails on a chalkboard. Comes off kind of whiny. Don't play for the right reasons, but not because you think you won't play. That, to me, doesn't show competitiveness. Doesn't show commitment. My DD will be going to a major D1 next year where, as a freshman, there's a fat chance she won't play. She's working her rear off to get the best chance she an once she arrives on campus and she knows that there's more to a team than just those starting 9.
Sorry, JMO.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
There are a lot of great insights on this situation, all of them neither right or wrong. The correct answer is to make sure your DD knows all the pros and cons and let her make her decision.

I want to say kudos to the HS softball coach that named her no 2 catcher and not the no 1 just because you are a football coach at the same HS. I have seen that happen all too many times (coach, teacher, administrator, etc.). Sounds like to me if she keeps working hard this summer and fall, she could become the no 1 catcher.

I would want my DGD to stay on the team if nothing else to teach her how to act when she plays college ball (I hope) and she is the no 3 instead of the no 1.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
How good is the varsity team? Have her work her tail off on hitting. She can be the #2 catcher, but only has to be in the top 6-7 hitters and she will get a spot somewhere. Hit her some fly balls and teach her RF. I have not seen to many high school teams loaded with TB players. Let her be the #2 catcher, but be the #1 RF for a year. HS coaches want to win, and a good bat in the line up will help with that.

Sep 3, 2009
Honestly, I don't think anyone can name a single college player who was recruited from a HS team. Think about how many exposure tournaments are going on while you're in the stands watching mediocre pitching, and girls "squishing the bug". Thank god it's a short season...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Honestly, I don't think anyone can name a single college player who was recruited from a HS team. Think about how many exposure tournaments are going on while you're in the stands watching mediocre pitching, and girls "squishing the bug". Thank god it's a short season...

Not that there is no truth in what you say, but if I were a coach and knew that a sophomore looked down on the quality of play and was concerned that she was missing recruiting opportunities, I'd probably keep her on the JV and go with the loyal senior.

Sep 3, 2009
Not that there is no truth in what you say, but if I were a coach and knew that a sophomore looked down on the quality of play and was concerned that she was missing recruiting opportunities, I'd probably keep her on the JV and go with the loyal senior.

She doesn't look down on it, that's dad looking at it from a realistic perspective. It is what it is. Just looking at the tournaments that are announced for next season... she'd probably miss a couple of recruiting tournaments. Missed opportunities... I don't think my DD was ever walked that much since Rec, I never kept stats back in those days. But I will tell you that when she got back to her travel team, her stats soared.

Really, i don't care. I'd prefer her to stay with the travel team and not miss any of this recruiting time. But she wants to "play for her school" which is ok, but not my preference. It's her decision ultimately, and we (parents) will back her regardless.

But like you said, "go with the loyal senior"... that's what makes it more like Rec, and less competitive. My DD wants to play HS... it's mom and dad that would prefer she do track or something, and stay with her travel team.

As an aside, nothing to do with my DD.. the starting varsity pitcher is going to a very high level D1 school. And even when she was still recruiting and had not decided yet, I never saw a single college coach at any of the HS games. Just a fact.

Last edited:
Maybe I am just missing something but aren't most college coaching staffs pretty busy in March, April and May trying to win ball games? While they are always recruiting I think there is a reason most showcases don't start until after college season is over. I am not really plugged in just an outsider making an observation, unless of course I am missing something obvious, also while college coaches don't look at what HS you played for almost every recruit seems to have played for their HS, might just make college coach wonder if something else is going on as to why she is not playing for HS.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Absdad, I'm actually glad your DD has decided to play. One thing I'd have to ask is, did you play HS sports? If so then you should understand its not really about the recruitment, and sometimes it's not about the competition. It's about belonging to a group of friends and representing your HS, that time will never come back around in life. Even though you're looking at it from a valid view of "is it worth all this", you don't want to take that time away from your child. HS is a special few years and for most it's the last time we can have fun with almost zero responsibilities and the pressures of adulthood.

My brother and I, his two sons, and my daughter all have played college ball ( or will start next fall ) AND we all played HS sports. Some of us multiple HS sports. I'm telling you this because there is PLENTY of time for exposure during the off seasons of HS sports. Yes you have to plan and make sure you enter the right tourneys for your DD's personal prefference, but don't panic, it's relatively easier than it sounds.

I do wish you the best of luck, enjoy this time with your daughter and try not to make recruiting a "job". Life is too short.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi