Taking High School Sophomore Season Off vs. Recruitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Many a travel player is elevated above their worth also, not just in HS. They get on the IN with the right organization, and keep moving up. It is not just HS that is political.

High School ball, when on a good team is more rewarding, period, no comparison. Great players should do BOTH. Experience both. Experience the downtime's of not being the "preferred" (young) player, rise above it, and win at the HS level, win 1st HS State Championship in front of 1,500 local fans, get in the paper (a lot), youth sports magazine, have a parade, get Rings, go to the Statehouse, have a "proclamation" by government, go to a minor league baseball game to be honored, be honored at a HS football game, be ranked in Maxpreps final top 25, get congratulations from the local community who helped. All have happened to us this year and we have two more years to hopefully repeat.

Get very little of that in travel.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2011
I think you're making alot of broad assumptions (you know the saying right?), so let me help you out. Large high schools generally do have large numbers of girls competing for a few spots. Only a few SR's graduating each year. You think that if a player isn't any good, that's why they'd be on JV as a sophmore? Forgive me, but that's kind of an ignorant statement don't you think?? I know girls who didn't make varsity until their Jr year, and they were D1 commits. I also know girls who started varsity their freshman year and never played an inning of college ball. What's your point?

And as far as scholarships go, I checked back through the thread, and you were the only one that I noticed mentioning a scholarship. Everything doesn't have to be about, and shouldn't be about, scholarships. Unless of course you're talking about academic scholarships. Most people who don't know any better get them confused, and think that is all there is to playing college ball. I've learned long ago in the recruiting process to expect to have to pay for EVERYTHING, and then if there is something that comes up, it's just a little icing on the cake. ;)

Your initial question was, "My question is.... How much could it effect the way college recruiters view an athlete if they choose to take their sophomore year off?" It seems to me that you were the person concerned with college recruiters.

I told you that I thought the Iowa calendar possibly changed my initial response. That made it a much tougher call in my mind.

As for playing varsity as underclassmen at larger schools, I still contend that the majority of DI players are playing varsity as underclassmen. While there are exceptions, they are few outside of the traditional softball hotbeds.

Sep 3, 2009
Your initial question was, "My question is.... How much could it effect the way college recruiters view an athlete if they choose to take their sophomore year off?" It seems to me that you were the person concerned with college recruiters.

I told you that I thought the Iowa calendar possibly changed my initial response. That made it a much tougher call in my mind.

As for playing varsity as underclassmen at larger schools, I still contend that the majority of DI players are playing varsity as underclassmen. While there are exceptions, they are few outside of the traditional softball hotbeds.

Uhm, actually that was another poster who asked that question, not me.

I just tended to agree with not playing HS in lieu of full year effort with the travel ball team, and playing another HS sport. I get it about the memories and feeling of belonging and competing for your school, etc. But there aren't any recruiters going to HS games. It means different things to different people.

Jun 11, 2013
I may be crazy, but doesn't anyone play sports for fun any more? Unless the coach is a jerk, go ahead and play. Maybe play first base or OF to learn a new position. If I were a college coach I would at least wonder why you didn't play. If asked I sure wouldn't say because they had a better catcher than me so I decided to run track or work at the Gap. Play, have some fun and try to beat out that other catcher.

Aug 24, 2011
To be honest it was raise a red flag for me as a college coach. It would certainly beg some questions. I think in most cases it would be because a player thinks she's too good to play high school and that would give me some pause. I'd at least ask her why she wouldn't want to take her experience and gifts and make those around her better.

Nov 12, 2013
Regret possible

I just want to add that I know of girls that were being recruited and the D1 schools called and talked to the HS softball coaches at their schools. A bad recommendation or non-existent recommendation from your HS coach could hurt. With traveling teams you do play at a higher level. Yet you are paying to be on the team. I doubt your coach is going to give you a bad recommendation. I agree with the others who have said that your DD will be shunned. Shunned might be a harsh word but it will sure make the other players look at her differently. I have seen this on my DD's HS team. #1 its selfish. This is about supporting your school and your sport. #2 if she is that good then they will find a spot for her. #3 everybody has to pay their dues. #4 the girls she plays with now could be her boss in the future. Networking is important. She is a sophomore. What if those girls end up taking it all the way her junior or senior year. Wouldn't she miss being a part of that. There is a whole bigger picture to HS softball. Its school spirit, team spirit, hierarchy, lessons in learning that patience and perseverance help you to achieve your goal. That makes getting that HS letter all the more rewarding. You have HS reunions to think of. Stories to tell, memories she is missing out on. Just because she doesn't get her way now only leads to teaching her the more important life lessons. What does letting her not play teach her?

All of the girls have to earn those spots. I understand that sometimes you get the coaches that play by seniority but life is that way too.

On the other hand a bad attitude/feeling of entitlement doesn't help either. I would go with her level of maturity. Can she handle just being on JV?

We had several athletes whose parents were just awful in the stands about their daughter being JV. It was embarrassing for everyone involved. Imagine how it made all of the other JV parents feel. She was saying how her daughter deserved to be on varsity. There were Juniors on JV and here was this Sophomore mom saying her daughter was too good for JV. One girl quit the day before a major game and it really soured the other girls on her. She really let down the whole team. If you or your daughter could even remotely be that type of family then it is best not to play. Word gets around on those types of players and parents. I understand how hard it is to watch your daughter play "beneath" her ability but she will learn from it.

Or like others said- find another sport to play in HS, colleges love athletes with range.

Think of the great BP she will get for learning to wait on a good pitch, learning to hit a slower pitch (practice for the great change up/ off speed pitcher she will see in college or travel ball).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi