Swinging for contact after 2 strikes....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Actually I don't think it messes with the catcher more because we are used to catching the ball when Batters Swing.
However when the batter is swinging it can delay our reaction to receiving the pitch and throwing it. Just as it might delay the reaction of the defense getting to the bag. That is if they wait for the runner.
Right, I meant with the throw, not catching it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
* receiving catching the pitch and going into the throw we want to happen as simultaneously as we can and in that initial moment we might even be going into the pitch ever so slightly before the pitch reaches us, that can be delayed when the batter is swinging. = tenths of seconds.

Oct 14, 2019
Well there's been video posted recently of college coaches having their batters swing and miss on purpose.
Peculiar...since show bunt and pull back at least don't get the strike against the batter and can still hold the defense
coach often wants batter to swing even if it’s not really hittable

radness

Dec 13, 2019
coach often wants batter to swing even if it’s not really hittable
it happens 🤷‍♀️ it's a part of strategy...

Perhaps hedged against dropping down a bunt and giving up an out?!

Oct 3, 2019
Do you teach your kids a different swing with 2 strikes? Like maybe a shorter swing just to try and put the ball in play? My kid is being taught that, so curious as to how others feel. I'm not sure I agree necessarily.
Does choking up or using a split grip constitute a different swing? Isn’t it just about having better bat control to avoid striking out?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Does choking up or using a split grip constitute a different swing? Isn’t it just about having better bat control to avoid striking out?
Those are adjustments. And if they are not the consistently used to swing then yes that would be different. There are slight adjustments and greater adjustments.

And yes some people believe that is for better bat control...
But like everything folks will debate that
Or if it helps.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
We teach to choke up and try to get the ball in play. Two for you, one for the team.
Way to have a plan!
Care to share how that works out for the team and what age bracket?

Dec 11, 2010
Don’t turn a game of three strikes into a game of two strikes.

Good hitters HIT with 2 strikes. Good hitters strike out some times. See ball, hit ball, get the hell out of players heads and let them hit Coach.

Older dd played on a team with a 216 year old “hall of fame” coach. They did the “show bunt pull back” with two strikes. It was a total failure, the players that did it the way they were supposed to were late, late, late. You know who it “worked” for? The players who pulled back to their regular hitting position before the pitcher even moved. Total bs.

Jun 8, 2016
Older dd played on a team with a 216 year old “hall of fame” coach. They did the “show bunt pull back” with two strikes. It was a total failure, the players that did it the way they were supposed to were late, late, late. You know who it “worked” for? The players who pulled back to their regular hitting position before the pitcher even moved. Total bs.
I mean that is a harsh analysis, the guy was 216 years old. When he first started coaching batters could request high or low pitches so it seems to me like he adapted to the current game quite nicely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55