Swing plane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You should play the sound so you can hear me fix her shoulders. But it shows your ability to manipulate to your needs.
What 'manipulation' did I use. That is a gif from the video YOU posted. The last swing/gif in YOUR video:
you can hear me fix her shoulders.
tumblr_pffimyJOtM1usf292o1_400.gif

That little 'adjustment' at the end of the swing/gif is what happens when the 'hands are along for the ride'.
This hitter is from a couple of years ago any current swings to see how she progressed under your instructions.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Try this. it would help the hands arms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-JoSP7hzs

Good video. And I have a Zepp which I still use occasionally. I find it to be a useful tool. It's one of the reasons that I believe 'hand path' is a helpful gauge of a hitter's swing, unlike some others here... However, although there has been some discussion about 'hand path' vs 'barrel path', the topic of how an efficient hand path never came up. What do you think creates an efficient hand path? In my opinion, it is not the hands...

Just like several other 'cues' we have been talking about. If a hitter is given a certain goal, and understands it correctly, the body will find a way to organize itself to accomplish that goal. It is then up to the instructor to help the hitter along. JMHO...

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
sorry, we should stick to information instead of bashing.

This girl used the bag to fix problem, on was that front elbow draping, and bat drag. The last video taken was when she played with me, in travel ball.

I am a team coach, i work with so many kids at the same time, i do not have much luxury to spend one on one.

My point with you bass, is how do you know what works? and what does not, to fix things? i am willing to listen but i need some proof of success.
this is why i am carefull these days, and like using drills from Lisle, and Tewks, and Parker, as i have seen these things fix problems.

I only have them for a short time, i have no HL hitters, they do great in HS, but fall off pretty fast. Last year most of my team made varsity, But they will decline.

before,
annabatdropsweepgif-M.gif

After
annafronttossgif-M.gif

I wish some others who dog me like you do would please post something they have done.

Such as a before, and after , and what they did to fix it.

I can show you the worst swings you have ever seen, thats what i get every year. for 15 years.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Good video. And I have a Zepp which I still use occasionally. I find it to be a useful tool. It's one of the reasons that I believe 'hand path' is a helpful gauge of a hitter's swing, unlike some others here... However, although there has been some discussion about 'hand path' vs 'barrel path', the topic of how an efficient hand path never came up. What do you think creates an efficient hand path? In my opinion, it is not the hands...

Just like several other 'cues' we have been talking about. If a hitter is given a certain goal, and understands it correctly, the body will find a way to organize itself to accomplish that goal. It is then up to the instructor to help the hitter along. JMHO...

"What do you think creates an efficient hand path" THE BODY. i like using the front arm. But of coarse the degree of rotation is included, the rear hip controls the turn.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I wish some others who dog me like you do would please post something they have done.
I'll bail out of this, just pointed out a few things....but, show me where I 'bashed' you. You have been the 'bashing' one.
I've also 'showed' what I've(DD) has done in the past.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
"What do you think creates an efficient hand path" THE BODY. i like using the front arm. But of coarse the degree of rotation is included, the rear hip controls the turn.

All important. Each can help or hurt the swing. But the rear hip is underappreciated in many ways. Like you, my trust is limited in certain areas. There are several forum members that are very knowledgeable about hitting, and I do listen and learn. But when it comes to how the body works, I like to go to sources that specialize in those functions. Sources such as Austin Wasserman and Eric Cressey. This was just posted on twitter today. Notice the mentioning of the rear hip. Now, this is in regards to pitching, but I think there are a lot of similarities between throwing and hitting. In this tweet, Cressey is talking about Max Scherzer, who is one of his clients.

VDjcF8Kl.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
By the way, these are some good names. If you have time, check out some of Matt Antonelli's videos on YouTube. It you are on Twitter, take a look at Craig Hyatt.

Thank you i will. i have a question about the hands for you. What is your take on the wrists at the pivot point? Last year i tried a short burst and release. in other words put force into the turn,

On the other hand i was a pitcher, and i understand the forceful use of the wrists can impede and slow down the ball. I liked the way it felt, and i crushed the ball.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you i will. i have a question about the hands for you. What is your take on the wrists at the pivot point? Last year i tried a short burst and release. in other words put force into the turn,

On the other hand i was a pitcher, and i understand the forceful use of the wrists can impede and slow down the ball. I liked the way it felt, and i crushed the ball.

I guess that all depends on what you mean by the bold above... When does this 'turn' occur in your model? I agree with what you are saying in regards to throwing. The same description is accurate with softball windmill pitching. A pitcher doesn't bend her wrist. Her wrist becomes bent. There is a difference. It is true that many baseball players focus on having strong forearms/wrists. And when a hitter suffers a wrist injury, it can often have profound impacts on their ability to hit the ball, especially with power. But it is my belief that any force generation that is produced by these muscles is over relatively quickly (what some refer to as 'swing launch'). Now, it seems that you are more a proponent of Chappy's D-L-L model, which is fine. But even in that model, I understand the 'launch' to be more of a 'release'. And if that is accurate, at least to me, a 'release' would not include any type of 'forceful use'.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I guess that all depends on what you mean by the bold above... When does this 'turn' occur in your model? I agree with what you are saying in regards to throwing. The same description is accurate with softball windmill pitching. A pitcher doesn't bend her wrist. Her wrist becomes bent. There is a difference. It is true that many baseball players focus on having strong forearms/wrists. And when a hitter suffers a wrist injury, it can often have profound impacts on their ability to hit the ball, especially with power. But it is my belief that any force generation that is produced by these muscles is over relatively quickly (what some refer to as 'swing launch'). Now, it seems that you are more a proponent of Chappy's D-L-L model, which is fine. But even in that model, I understand the 'launch' to be more of a 'release'. And if that is accurate, at least to me, a 'release' would not include any type of 'forceful use'.

Thanks for the response FP. thats a great clue, the strong forearms, why and in what part of the swing would strong forearms come into play? Some players cock their wrists early, creating tension, and that builds as the swing progresses. is this where you think there may be a "quick muscle" release? And the same can be said for the fastpitch pitcher, as the circle goes round tension builds. This can be felt if you stand against the wall, ball out against the wall, and go in a circle all the way to down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00