Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
There are many trying to swing with the back leg as the engine who completely over do it.

As I mentioned earlier the back leg is important. It’s not just a supporter.

Shawn think of it as being in an athletic position (dynamically) after the stride.

AlalH0c.png

5tmq8fH.gif

apmXUw5.gif

May 12, 2016
Actually I was going to say she looks like her swing is down in back. Not down in front.
Kind of supports what the pros have been saying about "down to" right? W's daughter has been taught down to with midsection being the main engine from a leveraged position and you see good barrel path... right?

Reactions: TDS
Nov 16, 2017
Ahem... Every mlb hitters' barrel goes under the pitch path. How do you think you get launch angles >15 degrees?

View attachment 23259

Well because the bat is ROUND and the ball is ROUND and if you hit the bottom 3rd of the ball it is going to go up. Some of you guys act like MLBers square every ball. Squared balls are line drives singles and doubles. Barely mishit at the bottom 3rd and that is your HR.

There is no way you are going to touch a 95mph high fast ball if you barrel gets below the plane of the pitch. You can catch a curve ball or a change up that way but you can forget about a fastball.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well because the bat is ROUND and the ball is ROUND and if you hit the bottom 3rd of the ball it is going to go up. Some of you guys act like MLBers square every ball. Squared balls are line drives singles and doubles. Barely mishit at the bottom 3rd and that is your HR.

There is no way you are going to touch a 95mph high fast ball if you barrel gets below the plane of the pitch. You can catch a curve ball or a change up that way but you can forget about a fastball.

The point some are trying to make is that if a hitter actually physically hits the top half of the ball, it is absolutely impossible for it to have a positive launch angle. If a ball is hit anywhere on the top half, the only direction it can go is down. That is simply a fact.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
so just so we have a bit more context. dd has been swinging down since she was 2nd yr 18s. I believe this clips are from 18s And college. In the first clip notice she’s toeing the line hitting an inside pitch and the second she’s hitting an outside pitch. As I’m sure you know, the barrel will be steeper on the inside due to a ‘longer’ swing and the outside pitch will have a much shorter swing and shallower angle due to the earlier release.

the baseline mechanics are the same. We haven’t changed anything In awhile.

heres a swing from the cages as well, from a 4-5 days ago. she’s on her front side again. Hopefully this explains why you see the ‘extra‘ angles in the machine clips. She is just really putting everything into it imo. There are no variables in the cage. She can just tee off. she truly just tries to disintegrate the ball in there. There is usually an audience around the cages etc. etc.

it won’t seem to load, I’ll make another and post.

edit: @FP26 this is an inside pitch even though she’s middle of the box. machine has a mind of its own. This extra ‘oomph’ is just from a lack of variability Imo.

View attachment 23258

You may not have changed anything, but she seems more comfortable in the more recent swings. I see clear differences between the newer swings and the older swings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi