Superstitious DD's--Bat Related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
I'm hoping I'm not alone in this. I think my DD is superstitious about her bats. She recently broke her Xeno. Next weekend she hitting line-drives into the outfield with her CF5. Couple of parents look my way and asked me what I fed her that morning. Next weekend DD says she wants another Xeno because she is having a hard time with the CF5! I'm like, don't you remember what you did last weekend with your CF5? And all the other bombs she hit in last spring tournaments? No answer. Wants her new in the mail Xeno for the next weekend--the last fall ball double header. Insists that the CF5 isn't working anymore. 13 yo. I shake my head and wonder. Anyone else?

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Absolutely. My DD hung on to a bat she used as a 9 year old. It was the bat she used when hitting really started to make sense for her. At 12, she was still using this bat (despite having a fancy new bat in her bag) - she reminded me of the dog that has grown out her puppy bed but still insists on sleeping on it, even though only her mid-torso is actually on the bed! I'm the same way with tennis raquets - I have three of the exact same kind but if one is working well I won't pick up any of the others.

May 7, 2008
The team is all getting nice new matched helmets. One player come to me in tears. Her old helmet is her lucky batting helmet - does she have to get a new one. ABSOLUTELY NOT I TOLD HER AND ON TOP OF THAT WE WILL HAVE A TEAM RULE THAT EVERYONE HAS TO RUB THE LUCKY HELMET BEFORE BATTING!

Aug 14, 2011
My DD has always had a hard time giving up one bat to move to another. When it's been forced on her (like in the case of a cracked bat), she has mentally struggled. We still have all her old bats, t-ball up to present. She will not part with them. Her bat is her "baby". It has a name (Rosetta is the current bat; we've had Nigel, Big Ed and Pearl). It cannot be put into her bag; she carries it separately in her hand. And it cannot sleep in the garage- it sleeps in the bed with her. And she's 18!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd grabs a team bat from the bag and has a go with it, I have seen her use 3 different bats in the same game before. I think I might have to break down and buy her a bat for this spring, she found that she likes a specific bat, but at a different weight then the team has.

It amazes me that a kid can tell her father, I am not going to use this perfectly fine $300 bat that I am getting hits with. And dad feels it is necessary to buy a new $300 bat instead of telling her. Too bad honey its the one you have and it works, get used to it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Or when you don't have team bats, and 2 other girls sprint to your dd's bag every team batting practice because they want her bat so she is standing there PO'ed with no bat, because parents that spend $1000s on team and travel won't spend $100 for a bat.

Aug 14, 2011
Adding to my daughter's superstitions: last night we re-wrapped her bat with a new grip. When it came time to put the final piece of tape on the top she announces she wants to do it. After she's done I inspect her work and point out that the end of the tape was crooked and out of line. As I moved to fix it she says "No. Leave it like that. That's how it has to be. Crooked and wrinkled", then went on to explain that all of her bats that have "worked" have had that irregularity so she has always moved the tape. Who knew?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
The new '13 Xeno arrived Monday. DD knew it was gonna arrive that day and asked where it was. I told her it was too pretty to use and that she could look at it, show it to her teammates, swing it, but no hitting balls ( joking with her ). She says, oh no, I'm using it! She also names her bats. Her CF5 ( when it was new ) was her baby too. She wouldn't let anyone touch it. Now it's old technology, has no pop, bad luck, and swears by the Xeno--the one she broke in a game.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA