Summer coach conflicting school coach.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
We had our first unofficial practice getting a jump on the upcoming summer rec. league. One of the pitchers was throwing and I made a correction with her. The coach for the 14U comes over and says no do it this way and starts making corrections. I stopped making corrections because she will be on his summer team, but when not in front of the girls asked him why he was telling them that. He told me his daughter's pitching coach had her doing this and it helped her a lot.

Anyway, up until this year his daughter pitched basically the same style as I taught the girls I was working with on the summer team and the school team. Now, he is telling the girls I worked with, that are moving up to his team, to change over to this style and that the way they used to do it is now wrong.

The two leading pitchers from the school team paid good money to go to a pitching coach who has a long history of success and is the head of a college athletic department and head softball coach for that college. I spent quite a bit of time with this college coach being taught how to coach these girls on pitching. The changes he is making in their pitching puts them doing things that I was taught by the college coach puts them at risk of injury to their shoulder. He gave examples of medical studies and an explanation of the biometrics involved to back his position on this. The other issue I have with the “new” method is that it leaves them in a poor position to field and therefore puts them in harms way from a line drive. After all, the pitcher is the closest target the batter has.

OK, I get that there is more than one method or style of pitching, I am fine with that. I don't pretend to know every technique or for that matter be an expert on any of them. But, I am not OK with him teaching a method that may get them hurt.

Now, he has pretty much just not assigned me a team and it seems he is pushing me out of working with any of the summer teams.

The other problem I see is that the girls are now totally confused on how to pitch, among other skills that he has now changed his method on. The coach for the school team does not teach the same methods he is now using, although he tells the girls that he is. I know this because I am a volunteer assistant with the school team.

So now I am stuck with staying out of the way and letting this guy teach his methods during the summer and then trying to fix things in the fall school season or ending up in a battle with him on the summer league. He coaches the two oldest teams in the summer league and expects all the, as he calls them, “lower coaches” to teach the way he wants so “they are ready for his team.”

This guy has done a wonderful job of keeping the summer program going. In general he does a good job of teaching many skills. It's just the things he teaches that contradict what the school coach will tell them this fall that really bothers me.

What to do, what to do?

Jun 21, 2010
What method is he teaching that will cause injuries? And why/how does it leave the pitcher in a bad position to field batted balls?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You need to elaborate on what he is telling them to do.

OK, I get that there is more than one method or style of pitching, I am fine with that.

Not really.

The other issue I have with the “new” method is that it leaves them in a poor position to field and therefore puts them in harms way from a line drive.

The reflexes of the pitcher matter quite a bit, but the physical position of the body after a pitch doesn't matter.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am not trying to get into a technical pitching thing here, that's why I posted in "Coaching Softball" not "Softball Pitching". I am pointing out that we both have our idea of how the girls should be pitching. We could analyze this until we come to the perfect pitching solution in this forum and still not convince everyone in the softball world that what we came up with is the "proper" pitching method.

What I am looking for is input on how to work with this situation as a coach.

I am sure some of the coaches on here have had a similar experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know what you are going to do about the differences with this one coach. But, the girl's parents need to step up and tell him to lay off.

If they learned from who I think you are describing, and all this other guy knows is something that his DD learned - I would stick with what my own pitching coach is telling me.

Feb 3, 2011
When it comes to hitting and batting, players are to follow the directives of their paid instructors. If they are not paying for lessons of any sort, then they follow the directives of the current coaching staff. If coach #2 wants to make a style change this summer, then he's welcome to do so once they join his team.

Oct 19, 2009
DSC
The other problem I see is that the girls are now totally confused on how to pitch, among other skills that he has now changed his method on. The coach for the school team does not teach the same methods he is now using, although he tells the girls that he is. I know this because I am a volunteer assistant with the school team.
Changing from one style to another is not an overnight thing it takes time and patience. I’ve seen kids who in practice use a new style being taught and revert back to their old style when pressured in a game. Having a player who is confused and unsure of what their are doing is never good.

Maybe a meeting with the parents at first and get their feeling on the situation and if they agree I would try and set up a meeting with the coach, the school coach and yourself, have an honest and open discussion, ask this coach what he is basing his teaching on and why you disagree. Use suggestions from the parents especially the ones paying for lessons.

Just remember there are a lot of coaches and instructors even High School and College that are teaching some stupid stuff.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
IMHO, its up to the girl and her parents to address this with the coach. If my DD was taking lessons from a pitching coach that I was happy with, I would inform the rec. coach that she already has a pitching coach and will be following her pitching coach's direction. If he wasn't o.k. with that, we'd find another team. Finding another rec. team shouldn't be that difficult.