Stuck?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2011
My DD is getting stuck in no mans land right now with pitching time. Politics are occurring on the team with new pitchers. DD was top pitcher. Brought in new pitchers that have ties to head coach. DD is close to as good as new #1 and clearly better than #2. Not sure what to do?

We are going to start working harder and more often on DD's pitching. Not sure if a change in teams is in order. We moved up age brackets and new #1 is 2 years older than DD. #2 is same age but now it just seems politics are playing a part of the game on a team I didn't think this would happen with.

I need to rant.

Jan 25, 2011
yes,there is probably some politics,but that is with every team.If #1 pitcher is two years older,than she will have to move up.I would stay and hold out for next year.Just rember every practice and every game is a try out.Some one is always watching

Oct 3, 2009
My DD is getting stuck in no mans land right now with pitching time. Politics are occurring on the team with new pitchers. DD was top pitcher. Brought in new pitchers that have ties to head coach. DD is close to as good as new #1 and clearly better than #2. Not sure what to do?

We are going to start working harder and more often on DD's pitching. Not sure if a change in teams is in order. We moved up age brackets and new #1 is 2 years older than DD. #2 is same age but now it just seems politics are playing a part of the game on a team I didn't think this would happen with.

I need to rant.

I understand the frustration, but is it possible this is a blessing in disguise? What I mean is competing for a position and dealing with politics is something that can occur on any softball team and especially in HS and potentially college. And frankly becomes even more commonplace as an adult in the job market. :) Learning to just bear down and outwork your competition might be the valuable lesson. Now I am NOT saying just "march off the cliff with all your flags flying" and put her in a hopeless situation. Because that is another valuable adult lesson maybe, learning to give it everything you have and then make an informed decision at the end what makes the most sense based on her goals. Not sure this helps but watching my DD play up at 16u and for the first time not be the #1 and have to battle for pitching time has been a huge and sometimes painful adjustment for her (and I admit sometimes me). :) But I do believe in the long run that competition is a very positive thing. Hope this rambling helps! :)

Apr 13, 2010

I need to rant.

I'm in exactly the same position. I empathize with you. I don't have any answers either but we're just bearing down and riding it out.

Sep 17, 2009
The one thing I've learned is that no one season will make or break a player's career. Keep working and play for the long term. If your DD is truly not being treated fairly, you need to move to a new team anyway.

In the end, coaches/teams need great pitchers more than pitchers need a particular team. Work hard and your DD will be in the driver's seat eventually (and will learn some lessons in the progress as stated above)...good luck!

Feb 3, 2011
My DD is also playing up, had a great season, and made the all-star team. Now she's no longer the stud and she's fighting for a spot in the lineup against girls that are much bigger and stronger than she. 2 years is a huge difference at this age, so if your pitchers also bat, that could be the reason why your DD is getting less pitching time than you'd expected. Not sure whether it's the case with your teams, but my DD's mom is struggling with this very same thing, as she doesn't understand the importance of having big bats available.

Jun 8, 2011
In this case I believe 90% of it is politics. I could be wrong but.......Oh well, I get to spend more time with DD pitching even though she's got that temperamental teenage thing going on. Told her tonight on the way to the park that she needs to be so much better than the other girl to make it very apparent that she at least deserves #2. Had some parents grumbling last night that she was pulled when she was hitting spots and not getting hit. #2 got racked last night.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Parent, I always tell my DD, and other players that THEY need to make it so the coaches have no choice but to play them, be that good! Sounds like your on the right track. There have been plenty of times I have pulled a pitcher that was doing good to put one in that I wanted to see how she reacted with runners on late in the game. Sometimes we still won, sometimes we lost, but the bottom line the pitchers grew from doing this.

Apr 13, 2010
Don't always expect that the politics will be overcome with more "skill" or "work."

Found this out the hard way as well. Happened with my older DD in band no less. I wish I had grown up myself knowing this piece of information. I was naive I guess.

May 18, 2009
I'm kind of going through the same thing. My daughter is going to work at her pitching. #1 pitcher is very good. My DD pitched a good game last night. It was the only time she was on the rubber. #1 got the rest of the work this weekend. #2 was out of town. I think we are going to take a long term look at it. My DD can pitch at this level for 2 more years so she might sit more now but hopefully improve enough to play down the road.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma