Strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but there is a difference between the NCAA high strike and other sanctions. If a up ball is across or touching the sternum then it is high in the NCAA (as explained to me by a guy who has done college softball for a couple of decades). An up ball at the arm pit in high school is a strike. I believe that is the same in ASA, NSA ...

In the WCWS, the one troubling thing is that the low ball showed in the K-Zone numerous times and was called a ball.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I won't address the comments regarding the strike zone, because since the creation of softball by the softball gods and goddesses, and until the end of softball time on the planet, there will always be strike zone commentary about different zones that we call. In the link below however is a video that I think is one of the better ones explaining some of the techniques we use to setup in the zone.

MY DISCLAIMERS: This is not from my association, and I'm not endorsing this video, but I've referred a few to give a general idea of what we try to achieve while setting up in the slot. This is by no means a catch all training video, but it does give some good "live" pitching views which are sometimes hard to find with a good angle. This shows a RH batter only and only covers a small part of the actual plate mechanics regarding setup. END DISCLAIMERS

Here it is, about 3 minutes long. Skip the first 20 seconds or so if you want to get to the meat of it. Softball Umpire POV from Behind Plate - YouTube

Sep 5, 2012
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but there is a difference between the NCAA high strike and other sanctions. If a up ball is across or touching the sternum then it is high in the NCAA (as explained to me by a guy who has done college softball for a couple of decades). An up ball at the arm pit in high school is a strike. I believe that is the same in ASA, NSA ...

In the WCWS, the one troubling thing is that the low ball showed in the K-Zone numerous times and was called a ball.

You are pretty much spot on. Let me "fine tune" it for you:

What you see called in the NCAA is waist to knees & they will give corners.

The "textbook" definition of the strike zone for ASA, NFHS, etc. is armpits to the top of the knee. I say "textbook" because if you go to an umpire clinic for any association, you are taught to adjust your strike zone by taking a softball, start at the armpits & roll it down half a revolution. This will leave you roughly at the bottom of the sternum (or right at the letters on most uni's). You repeat the procedure starting at the bottom of the kneecap. This sets the height of your strike zone.

The strike zone should be thought of as a 3 dimensional box. It has height (determined by the batter), width & depth (both determined by the plate). It should always be interpreted as if the batter is standing parallel to the plate in a normal stance no matter where the batter the batter is actually standing (in front of or behind the plate).

Nov 29, 2009

What the NCAA did a few years ago was shrink the strike zone, but they didn't. The strike zone is still defined the same in the rule book. However!!!!! Now in the NCAA the ball must be completely inside the strike zone at the top and bottom of the strike zone. For the sides of the zone it's still any part of the ball crossing the plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand