Strike zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 25, 2010
Strike zone = whatever the ump see's at that moment.=QUOTE]

The variance I've seen this year so far has been ridiculous. One guy last week (had him for two games) was calling strikes at the batters shoulders. Then in the same tournament another guy didn't call much above the belt area... I understand their human and a strike zone is a judgement call, but the differences in some of them are too much for most of these kids to adjust to... just venting and wishing for some consistency across the board.

YYYYEESSS!!

Nov 29, 2009
What I see happening is the top and bottom of the strike zone shrinking this year. To me it looks like the NCAA strike zone is trickling down into the junior levels of softball. I have seen pitches at the knees that have regularly been called strikes in the past are now being called balls. The same thing with pitches near the top of the strike zone.

Two weeks ago in 18U one PU (that we had for three games) was consistently mid calf to the belt. Nothing above the belt. He is this way in school ball as well. Personally I don't like his zone, but he is consistent with it.
Last week I was pressed into service to call a LL game. 12U with inconsistent pitching. At the plate meeting I made it clear that it would be what i call a "Bible School Strike Zone" which means "Deep and Wide." I gave calf to shoulders, and wide. Still ended up being a 24 to 14 game with a lot of walks.
Usually you cannot get out of the park fast enough, but this time parents were saying "thank you." Not many times does that happen.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Some umps set up differently and their angles are different so some see the zone differently. We have one that moves his set up dramatically depending upon LH or RH batter. His corners moves a lot when he switches

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My 7 YO DD was in a BB game just over a week ago. The first two pitches of the game hit the plate and are called strikes. As you can imagine things didn't end well on the next pitch. She came back to the dugout for the first time crying. They are volunteer umps at that age but really?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Some umps set up differently and their angles are different so some see the zone differently. We have one that moves his set up dramatically depending upon LH or RH batter. His corners moves a lot when he switches

Which is why there is a mechanic that helps resolve that situation.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

This year we saw that a lot on leftys the strike One was as much as 6 inches outside. It was terrible.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The "slot" position set up (between the batter and the plate) that an umpire takes can make the outside corner a difficult pitch to call accurately for some.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs