Strike two, you're out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Saw this happen yesterday, and wonder if the ruling was correct.

Batter took first pitch (thought it was a strike), swung at second, and umpire called strike on third pitch. So, she walked back to the dugout, thinking it was strike three. Apparently, ump called first pitch a ball, so count was only 1-2, but didn't say anything. Girl reached dugout, ump said she was out because she went to dugout.
My daughter is subbing on this team, and their coaches didn't say anything. This was a 12U game at the All Sanctioned World Series in Columbus, OH.

Was this a correct ruling?

Jun 22, 2008
Same in every ruleset I am aware of, still a batter, not out for entering the dugout.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
A batter cannot be called out for abandonment. A batter-runner can. She was not a batter-runner.

The umpire could call a strike if the batter was instructed to remain in the box (warned) and continued to illegally exit the box OR failed to take her position in the box within 10 seconds (USA 7-4.k and 7-4.l; NFHS 7-3-1; USSSA 7-5.F and 7-8). In this case, strike 3, batter is out.

Recommended? Probably not. Technically correct? Yes.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
MTR, Comp and MIB have all answered this question. No one misses my strike calls, and I'd bet that no one misses there's either.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A batter cannot be called out for abandonment. A batter-runner can. She was not a batter-runner.

The umpire could call a strike if the batter was instructed to remain in the box (warned) and continued to illegally exit the box OR failed to take her position in the box within 10 seconds (USA 7-4.k and 7-4.l; NFHS 7-3-1; USSSA 7-5.F and 7-8). In this case, strike 3, batter is out.

Recommended? Probably not. Technically correct? Yes.

I'm not sure what procedure is, but in this case where it seems clear the batter lost track of the count and just assumed strike three, wouldn't the reasonable thing for an umpire to do be to just say "That was only strike 2" or something like that?

I swear it feels like some umps are just waiting for a chance to pull a "gotcha" with children, and I don't get it. There's adhering to the rules, and there's setting kids up to make a mistake just so they can punish them (often against what's prescribed) to prove some kind of point. These guys are rare, but they exist, and it's so frustrating.

Jun 12, 2015
If it were balls instead of strikes the other team would've let her know really loudly. Only 3! Only 3!

Jan 27, 2019
Saw this happen yesterday, and wonder if the ruling was correct.

Batter took first pitch (thought it was a strike), swung at second, and umpire called strike on third pitch. So, she walked back to the dugout, thinking it was strike three. Apparently, ump called first pitch a ball, so count was only 1-2, but didn't say anything. Girl reached dugout, ump said she was out because she went to dugout.
My daughter is subbing on this team, and their coaches didn't say anything. This was a 12U game at the All Sanctioned World Series in Columbus, OH.

Was this a correct ruling?

You are absolutely correct, it was the wrong ruling. A little self-disclosure, I was on the bases that game I believe. Field 1?

I had 1-2 on my indicator, when the little, and she's pretty petite, player ran to the dugout I indicated to my partner I had 1-2. She went to the dugout about the same time and he held up the hammer. I assumed he meant that was strike 3. Her dugout did not, to my knowledge, argue anything. My thought was that I missed a pitch or missed his first call. Between innings I told him that I must have missed a pitch and he informed me that it was 2 strikes and she was out for leaving the field. I mentioned he messed that one up but it was too late to fix it. In retrospect maybe I should have pursued an answer more vehemently but I've worked with the guy before and he's done a good job. I trusted him and that's the first time I had an issue with him. We talked ab out it after the game and I don't think that he will make the same call in the future. Sometimes we mess things up. IF someone had asked for an explanation before the next pitch we could have rectified and put her back in the box with her 1-2 count.

All I can do is apologize, that was a missed call, don't let that happen to your girls again.

May 29, 2015
I'm not sure what procedure is, but in this case where it seems clear the batter lost track of the count and just assumed strike three, wouldn't the reasonable thing for an umpire to do be to just say "That was only strike 2" or something like that?

I swear it feels like some umps are just waiting for a chance to pull a "gotcha" with children, and I don't get it. There's adhering to the rules, and there's setting kids up to make a mistake just so they can punish them (often against what's prescribed) to prove some kind of point. These guys are rare, but they exist, and it's so frustrating.

Like I said, “Recommended? No. Technically correct? Yes.”

I highly doubt the umpire in this scenario applied the rules I cited though. I also highly doubt it was some vindictive effort against children on his part. I’m betting he incorrectly applied abandonment.

Comments like yours sadden me CoachJD. Not to say thee aren’t @holes out there, but the fact that your mind immediately thinks this is some vast one-man conspiracy because he was stood up at prom by the coolest girl in school as part of a prank, so he is going to destroy children’s lives via umpiring! MOOOHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, sorry. Sounds like I have been giving that a little too much thought for too long. 😳

Personally, yes, I am bringing the batter back to the plate. What was up with the coach not saying something?

Last edited:
Reactions: TMD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying