Strike Tracker/K Zone on ESPN2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You mean what you perceive to be an illegal pitch while watching from angles not available to the on field umpires and with replays at less than real time. Never offering excuses, just plain simple information. Can't force you to understand something you don't want to understand.

Those responsible for the mechanics, rules and proper application are in attendance. Have you seen anything change in the manner in which something is called since the beginning? If we do, then you know something different has happened or the umpires have been given new direction.

So when you watch a full game with someone like Barnhill in the circle, you cannot see a single IP? As to anything changing since the beginning, what does it matter how it was called in the past? The pitch is either legal or it is not. Umpire either do their job or they don't. End of story. It appears based on your comment regarding direction, that indeed umpires have been instructed to look the other way and not enforce the rules of the game. That said I would have much more respect for umpires if they at least showed some integrity and said "Yeah, it is illegal but I am not going to call it." But to throw out lame excuses about angles is pure BS. Umpires guess all game long on ball and strikes but when it comes to IP's it needs to be so obvious that they are forced to call it? If umpires truly can't see the numerous IP's in fornt of them they need to find another endeavor to pick up a few bucks on the weekend. If they see it and are simply not calling it, then we have an integrity issue and they are making a mockery of the game.

Dec 7, 2011
Off topic but I sure hear a lot of pitches described as backdoor by the announcers. I must not have the same definition or I'm not seeing the pitches the same.

C'mon,.....you didn't see the backdoor riseballs and the backdoor changeups? What's the matter with your backdoor self?

I love it when uneducated announcers try to use "industry words" and they have no clue and just look like idiots.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
10.4.4 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained. Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:

10.4.4.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends her pivot foot;
10.4.4.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.4.4.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So when you watch a full game with someone like Barnhill in the circle, you cannot see a single IP? As to anything changing since the beginning, what does it matter how it was called in the past?

Putting it back into context where it was offered, any change would indicate the supervisors admonished and/or correct the manner in which the umpires viewed or interpreted the actions of the pitchers' deliveries. That has not happened, so apparently everyone representing the NCAA are happy campers to this point.

The pitch is either legal or it is not. Umpire either do their job or they don't. End of story. It appears based on your comment regarding direction, that indeed umpires have been instructed to look the other way and not enforce the rules of the game. That said I would have much more respect for umpires if they at least showed some integrity and said "Yeah, it is illegal but I am not going to call it." But to throw out lame excuses about angles is pure BS. Umpires guess all game long on ball and strikes but when it comes to IP's it needs to be so obvious that they are forced to call it? If umpires truly can't see the numerous IP's in fornt of them they need to find another endeavor to pick up a few bucks on the weekend. If they see it and are simply not calling it, then we have an integrity issue and they are making a mockery of the game.

Is this comment derived from your decades of experience as an umpire on the field? How many games, clinics, schools, etc. have you under the belt? Any armchair coach can whine about things they see when it is all they are watching from whatever position and angle they choose. If you knew anything about umpiring, you would know that is not available to those on the field.

Sep 29, 2014
To OP while the box itself might not be perfect I have noticed that it does show how consistent an umpires zone is which is usually all you should expect.

I saw some poor girl just lighting up the K zone across the bottom and every single pitch was called a ball, in other words from the umpire's perspective that pitch was a ball, same game ball is consistently off the outside by an inch or two and it was a strike every time. It was very interesting and it would be really eye opening to see what an umpires called strike zone looks like. I think it would also be better to not always have it up and maybe just use it when showing pitch sequence after the at bat. I would hope the K zone actually calculates as it crosses the front of the plate it shouldn't be that hard.

10.4.4 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained. Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:

10.4.4.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends her pivot foot;
10.4.4.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.4.4.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

This seems to validate that according to the rules what she was doing was completely legal.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Putting it back into context where it was offered, any change would indicate the supervisors admonished and/or correct the manner in which the umpires viewed or interpreted the actions of the pitchers' deliveries. That has not happened, so apparently everyone representing the NCAA are happy campers to this point.

So to my point, fastpitch softball officiating is not unlike that of professional wrestling.

Dec 27, 2014
View attachment 10579
Took this pic from one of the games. I think it was when UL Lafayette pitcher was called for IP. Which surprised me that they called it!

I couldn't tell if they were calling her for her 2" leaping or skipping her drive foot. I don't think minimal leaping benefits the P much but replanting does. Most P's that use a sole down "drag" are replanting. If the drive foot can bare weight, it will.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So to my point, fastpitch softball officiating is not unlike that of professional wrestling.

You have time officiating that "sport", also?

You must think the MLB, MiLB & NCAA baseball are a bunch of clowns, too.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You have time officiating that "sport", also?

You must think the MLB, MiLB & NCAA baseball are a bunch of clowns, too.

This is the boiler plate BS response heard from umpires. Unless you have been on the field, had the training, blah blah blah. It is not rocket science to recognize an IP from 40 some feet away. You got one job to do, just do it. Umpires need to grow some stones and make the call. Like anything, you either do your job with integrity or you don't.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I cannot stand "there isn't an advantage" statement. If my pitcher is working to keep her foot down as part of the rules, so should yours.

Even in the younger ages that I deal with, I see it. They might be throwing bullets but when they are made to keep the foot down, they are not quite as fast or as in control.

At a Utrip tourny this weekend, one of our pitchers had started skipping/leaping. PU on field came to fence between innings and asked UIC if she was skipping and he said, " yeah but she is 10, let it go" what??

Enforce the rules, or change them. Don't make up your own as you go! Grrr!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1