Strike or Hit by Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 2, 2015
Had a situation yesterday that I think the umpire made the incorrect call? 2 variations of this situation for 10U not very high level travel ball(C at best).
First - Batter swings at pitched ball that is inside, completely misses the ball as she swung way to early. After missed swing ball proceeds to hit the batter in the stomach, and umpire calls dead ball and awards batter first base.

Is this the correct call? I don't believe it is but haven't had a chance to research the rule book. If it matters please let me know for ASA, NSA and NFHS rules.

Second, part of this would be if there were 2 strikes on the batter. If this is indeed a strike on the swing how would that play into a drop 3rd strike situation.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Swing and hit by pitch is a strike and a dead ball, no other runners can advance. If its strike 3 its an out and a dead ball no runners can advance, including the batter

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
This happened at last night's game.....dd threw an inside pitch to a lefty slapper. Batter stepped torwards ball to swing and got hit. Ump called dead ball and awarded batter to first base. Is this correct??? Should it have been a strike?

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
The umpire made the right call if she did not swing or try to hit the ball with her bat.

Ok thanks. I didn't see if she swung or not....I was too busy watching her footwork.....However, the crowd went crazy saying that "she went for it". So slappers can take steps but as long as they keep the bat back its not considered an attempt? Sorry not many slappers in my area...sorry if I sound uninformed.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This happened at last night's game.....dd threw an inside pitch to a lefty slapper. Batter stepped torwards ball to swing and got hit. Ump called dead ball and awarded batter to first base. Is this correct??? Should it have been a strike?

Maybe. Was the batter out of the box? If hit on a ball that would have passed through the strike zone, it should be a strike. If ASA, there is a requirement to attempt to avoid. Purely a judgment call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma