stolen base question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
My question not so much a rules question but a scoring question. I have been using I score and was not sure how to score play.

Runner on first and second ....double steal catcher throws to 3b out or safe don't matter. Does the runner that was on 1st get a stolen base?

Next 1st and 3 rd runner on 1st steals no throw does she get stolen base?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My question not so much a rules question but a scoring question. I have been using I score and was not sure how to score play.

Runner on first and second ....double steal catcher throws to 3b out or safe don't matter. Does the runner that was on 1st get a stolen base?

Safe or out, it does matter. If the runner is safe at 3rd both runners are credited with a stolen base. If the runner is out at 3rd the runner advancing to second is NOT credited with a stolen base.

Next 1st and 3 rd runner on 1st steals no throw does she get stolen base?
In general yes. Unless the scorer rules the player took the base on defensive indifference. Though I doubt you'd see that rulling in softball.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Unless the scorer rules the player took the base on defensive indifference. Though I doubt you'd see that rulling in softball.

I struggled with that one as well, but with 1st and 3rd occupied, I score a runner taking 2nd without a throw as Defensive Indifference all the time. Maybe I am being too harsh? She didn't steal 2nd... she was given 2nd.

Not to hijack your thread, but another one I question is... Only one base runner on base. the base runner breaks for 2nd at the release of the pitch (a straight steal attempt) but the catcher in her haste to make the catch and throw misses the ball (passed ball or wild pitch)... does she get credit for the steal? I score this as a steal since the base runner was clearly stealing at the release. If on the other hand she takes her lead, looks at the catcher and then runs to 2nd after seeing the catcher miss the ball... I score that as either advanced on passed ball or wild pitch. Am I scoring that one right?

Perhaps with all the "scoring" questions we need a scoring section to the forum list.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
On the DI v SB question yes it is judgement. Though generally a SB is credited on the 1st & 3rd situation unless it is "late" in the game, and the team on offense is trailing by more than 2 runs. So in your case I'd say you are being overly harsh to the BR, in most cases I'd credit SB but use your judgement. Also depends how stats are being used. If coach wants to knwo who is really stealing bases, vs. just advancing when given the base, then DI is probably more useful to HC.

If runner is stealing on pitch you can never assume she will be out so credit SB even if result of play would have been PB, WP or E2 on the throw and runner is safe. If she advances more than one base the extra base can be a result of the PB, WP or E2.

If she takes a lead and advanaces only after ball in dirt or off C glove, then no SB, it is PB or WP.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
On the DI v SB question yes it is judgement. Though generally a SB is credited on the 1st & 3rd situation unless it is "late" in the game, and the team on offense is trailing by more than 2 runs. So in your case I'd say you are being overly harsh to the BR, in most cases I'd credit SB but use your judgement. Also depends how stats are being used. If coach wants to knwo who is really stealing bases, vs. just advancing when given the base, then DI is probably more useful to HC.

If runner is stealing on pitch you can never assume she will be out so credit SB even if result of play would have been PB, WP or E2 on the throw and runner is safe. If she advances more than one base the extra base can be a result of the PB, WP or E2.

If she takes a lead and advanaces only after ball in dirt or off C glove, then no SB, it is PB or WP.

No error allowable if the stealing runner is safe, only an E2 if runner advances an extra base due to a wild throw (or a good throw but no one covering).

re 1st and 3rd - IMO, DI early or late in the game rather than a SB if an attempt isn't made on the runner advancing to 2B. Throw to 3B or P, DI. Throw to SS or 2B not on the bag - DI. Throw TO 2B and runner safe = SB.

Disclosure, DD's a C (and she throw through most of the time :))

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I also score it as Green does, no use in padding stats. On a 1st & 3rd, half the time I see the girl just basically jogging to 2B - gonna credit her with a SB? Not while I have the book lol

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I score the 1st-&-3rd situation as indifference. ... I think that's the correct ruling, but it's also the practical ruling, imo. Stolen base numbers have less meaning if they are padded by mere circumstance.

On 1st and 3rd scenario I always score indifference unless a play is made on the base runner. I'm with previous poster most of the time they are jogging down to second...never getting the SB for that in my book either.

It is a little harder on WPs and PBs but most of the time no SB in my book, it just does not seem right to give a girl a SB when a pitcher air mails it to the backstop. Now if its a one hop or the catcher just bobbles it and in either case they decide not to throw down I give the SB.

Again I'm not trying to be the voice on official score keeping I am approaching it more from a HC perspective trying to understand how each of his girls are performing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar