Still working at it,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I am posting 2 links of DD hitting in the cages. The first one is from a couple of years ago, the other is a week ago. I feel she is making progress. I recorded the most recent video on my iPhone in slow motion it ia really cool. I showed it to her and the first thing she says to me is "I need to throw the barrel farther forward". She is her own worst critic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXhIsMJxXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9cRF0e9Vo

Most of what she works on we learned on here and I want to say thank you to all the good people on DFP that take the time to help people like us and love the game that our DD's love.

So here goes, WHat do we work on next?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Her arms ( roof of the house look good) One adjustment...Shoulders level or front shoulder slightly down. Elbows should be able to slide across a level table top or back elbow up alittle, but that adjustment will come from the waist area from getting balanced different.
She is leaning back alittle from the waist up. That will promote line drives that float, or pop ups.

I would work on a little more load/coil and a softer landing with the front leg. The slow coil and holding that coil as you fall out will make the front foot/knee land softer.

SL

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
Her arms ( roof of the house look good) One adjustment...Shoulders level or front shoulder slightly down. Elbows should be able to slide across a level table top or back elbow up alittle, but that adjustment will come from the waist area from getting balanced different.
She is leaning back alittle from the waist up. That will promote line drives that float, or pop ups.

I would work on a little more load/coil and a softer landing with the front leg. The slow coil and holding that coil as you fall out will make the front foot/knee land softer.

SL

SL

I have watched hitting instructors that seem to teach the same concept that you teach, I may be wrong but how is it that you can take the knob to ball...swing down to the ball and put the bat on the table? That looks like a V Swing, Am I off base on what you are teaching? I have read through a few of your posts and Im not sure how you are teaching the hands. Im unsure of the hand pattern that you are teaching? How are you getting the hands in position? Are you teaching a top hand swivel? Are you teaching back of hand to the pitcher? Are you teaching swing with the arms? I see you respond quit a bot on the hitting sites and you have informed us that you are an instructor. Id be interested in hearing how you get your kids to a high level hand pattern.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2015
Im seeing a very passive young lady, get her to be a lil more aggressive in her attempt to swing the bat.

I see no hip action, no negative move at all. I do agree that the hands look ok. I would also work on getting her in touch with what it feels like to move and coil her hips! Try the happy Gilmore drill! Get her in touch with her hips in the throwing aspect of her game also. I like step behinds of a drill where you face your target coil into your rear hip with no step forward, My cue is THROW THE BALL WITH YOUR HIPS, Then see if this transfers over into her swing! She looks like a very coordinated young lady! Pull a lil bit more effort of of her also...Good luck and be happy she uses her hands as well as she does!

Jan 6, 2015
Similar to this except I would stand at the tee and walk up with my rear leg behind. It will force her to feel her hips coiling

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL

I have watched hitting instructors that seem to teach the same concept that you teach, I may be wrong but how is it that you can take the knob to ball...swing down to the ball and put the bat on the table? That looks like a V Swing, Am I off base on what you are teaching? I have read through a few of your posts and Im not sure how you are teaching the hands. Im unsure of the hand pattern that you are teaching? How are you getting the hands in position? Are you teaching a top hand swivel? Are you teaching back of hand to the pitcher? Are you teaching swing with the arms? I see you respond quit a bot on the hitting sites and you have informed us that you are an instructor. Id be interested in hearing how you get your kids to a high level hand pattern.

Thanks!

I don't teach knob to the ball
I don't teach swing down on the ball
I don't teach put a bat on the table

The one thing I do with the hands is keep the top hand inside the elbows at set up.

Lets keep this thread focused on the OP's daughter.

SL

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
I don't teach knob to the ball
I don't teach swing down on the ball
I don't teach put a bat on the table

The one thing I do with the hands is keep the top hand inside the elbows at set up.

Lets keep this thread focused on the OP's daughter.

SL

I always laugh when someone says keep it to the OP! That never happens! LMAO! Top hand literally inside the elbow IS NOT FEASABLE!

Jan 6, 2015
Can I get a rear view pic of hand inside the elbow? This most definitely can not be done if the barrel is vertical!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can I get a read view pic of hand inside the elbow? This most definitely can not be done if the barrel is vertical!

I think SL is talking about "inside" on a different plane than you are thinking. In this case "hands inside the elbows" would be seen when facing the batter while standing in the opposite batter's box. Think of the hands and elbows forming an inverted V, with the hands ahead of the back elbow and behind the front elbow. Hands getting outside the rear elbow is bat drag.

This is how I have interpreted the cue, anyway. SL, please correct me if my understanding of your "inside" is off base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd