Stats? How to address it when Coach makes a mistake.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Because my players are approaching the age where statistics are going to be important for college recruiting purposes, just this year we made the decision to implement a more rigorous and consistent scoring process. The book is kept in the dugout by one of two coaches. Questionable rulings are made by the coaching team at the time of the play. Weekend tournament statistics are then translated to individual player Exel sheets that summarize a player's performance for the season, tournament, game and against key rival teams. Team statistics are also summarized for the season and tournament

I then provide the team summarized statistics for the season and tournament along with the individual player (only get to see your kid) statistics by game, tournament, season. This gives everyone the opportunity to see where they stack up to the team average and how they performed by game on the weekend.

Apr 2, 2010
This is travel ball 1st year 14UA. I like what Tangy-Mike said about providing summaries and then giving each player their individual stats. I think with high school just around the corner, they need to be conscious of their stats but avoiding the embarrassment or inflated egos that can come with sharing everyone's numbers with everyone else is very well thought-out. Goodness knows, a 13 year old girl can be on enough of an emotional roller coaster.

This weekend, I mentioned it off hand to the asst. coach who keeps the books, and it looks like it'll get taken care of. We'll see. In the mean time, I think I'll be keeping my own stats on the dd and focusing on improvement and not a number.

Thanks to everyone for the sane and respectful advice. I'm feeling very fortunate to have found this site.

Apr 2, 2010
In what? Does the coach base playing time on the statistical batting average?

Is this rec ball, HS softball, or travel ball?

It's 14U-A Travel Ball. The coach does appear to make decisions as to line-up and plaing time in the batting average, but not entirely. He does seem to take into account how well the hitter is hitting and not just pure average. If a player is hitting it well but just hitting right to the outfielders, she still will have a place in the batting order.

I have a tremedous amount of respect for the coach. He is excellent! He normally coaches an 18UGold team. Probably explains a lot.

Jan 15, 2009
If your going to get into a conflict with your coach, do it over something that matters. If your daughters confidence is down, share that with him and ask that he layer it on thick over her next successes to try to get her head right. As a coach, some kids hit so well that you forget that they need positive encouragement when they hit a line drive right at defenders a few at bats in a row, as a coach your thinking, this kid should feel good about that at bat, but don't always think to feed that back to the player because your sharing their dissapointment at the result rather than celebrating a well hit ball.

Because my players are approaching the age where statistics are going to be important for college recruiting purposes, just this year we made the decision to implement a more rigorous and consistent scoring process. The book is kept in the dugout by one of two coaches. Questionable rulings are made by the coaching team at the time of the play. Weekend tournament statistics are then translated to.

I know you mean well by this, but you better a have an extemely strong personal relationship with a specific college coach if you think they are going to spend 10 seconds caring about the stats your kids show them. Because stat inflation is so rampant IMO most stats are just noise on a player's profile. Verifiable achievements All conference, All State, Defensive MVP, Tournament MVP are slightly better but usually carry some political aspects as well. The reality is the college coaches want to see the kids, either in action or at their camps (preferably both) and the only stats they read with interest on profiles are Height and Weight. The idea that coaches sit with 100 profiles on thier desk and sort the 10 with the best statistics to the top and start following those, is not reality.

May 7, 2008
Tangy-Mike...I have two athletes in different areas of development (daughter ninth grade and son in seventh grade). We have been advised the importance on statistics during high school years. I don't know whether you have an iPhone, but I have been using an app called iScore. I use it for both softball and baseball. Unfortunately, I don't always trust the bookkeeper so I have a backup plan, plus I enjoy scoring. I can be discreet and the app can be converted, emailed, and viewed in different formats. I love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi