Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
Although I am guilty of teaching it in the past, the bat behind the back definately encourages keeping weight on the back leg instead of transfering it.

Dec 28, 2008
In looking at the video it seems like the coach put the helmet behind the batters front foot and not in front of it to correct the boy from stepping "back" (pulling away). In the video the kid does lift his foot up a bit, although not a full stride. These rec coaches don't have the kind of time that we do as instructors to just focus on each element of the mechanics to ensure that they master one thing and develop it as muscle memory. They typically get 3-4 practices if they are lucky and it doesn't rain before they have to start playing ball for the season. In those 3-4 practies they have to teach kids how to do virtually everything and that doesn't leave much time for hitting. So I think they attempt to teach the things that are "fool" proof. If they only have 2 minutes at a practice to teach a 5 year old to hit, if they teach a stride, that kid will go home and practice it wrong all season long and will develop really poor muscle memory. So I

I think this coach is trying to help those coaches learn a simple technique that will help them eliminate problems like over striding and pulling away from the ball while keeping their eye on the ball to make contact in the few minutes that they have to teach. I agree with Hitter 100% though if you have ample consistent time to work with players do not underestimate what they are capable of learning or doing. My daughter was in gymnastics at 4 and watching what she was capable of doing at that time was amazing.

As for the bat drill behind the back, this is is something I do with a stick instead of the bat and they actually hit the ball off of the tee. It helps them learn how to distinquish between their lower body and their upper body. All kinds of variations can be done. It helps them learn how to snap the lower body explosively and and helps with "kissing the back shoulder" to see the ball because they aren't mentally thinking about killing the ball with their arms.

Just for fun here are two shots of Derek Jeeter squishing the bug with the classic back leg bent and thigh straight up, back heel up and weight clearly on the back leg. But he'll probably never make it though. ;)
2008_05_derekjeter.jpg

AAHE195_8x10-2006BattingAction~Derek-Jeter-Posters.jpg

I happened to know to go find pictures of him, because he's one of the featured players in Right View Pro and is the classic example of what I teach. It's easy to say I'm old fashioned for using the "forbidden" term "squish the bug" to keep things simple and give girls a visual, but it's hard to argue with his success. I do teach girls to both load and stride, so no that video isn't of me.

Dec 28, 2008
Also, does the back toe rotate towards the pitcher throughout the swing and end up on the ball of the foot?
Trick question! A good batting stance will be an athletic position, meaning that they would already be on the balls of their feet. As they explode lower body the toe ends up pointing to where the contact point with the ball will be, and yes the back heel will follow their toe or else they will have physical issues, and would come up to nearly a vertical during that rotation. For an inside pitch the back toe would end up facing directly towards the pitcher, but for an outside pitch the contact would be made with that toe pointing toward first base lets say.

Can someone tell us their definition of "squishing the bug"?
The visual is probably the easiest way to explain it. If there was a really big hairy spider under the ball of your back foot you would both rotate that back foot and drive down your weight down through it to ensure that it was dead the first time. I can assure anyone with PETA that no bugs were injured during that illustration. When you finished the seam in your back leg would be running straight up and down, and both your calf and thigh would be bulging. Others will answer the second half of the question as to why they think it's wrong.

May 12, 2008
If you watch a video clip of Jeter you will see him rock back onto the back foot after the swing indicating he did get off the back side avoiding squishing the bug. Not being completely up on or off the toe does not mean someone squished the bug.

Feb 4, 2010
Although I am guilty of teaching it in the past, the bat behind the back definately encourages keeping weight on the back leg instead of transfering it.

that drill is meant to encourage rotation of the hips and is good for that purpose

if your back toe doesn't spin your hips haven't rotated while u swing - the toe has to rotate

Oct 12, 2009
Maybe I am getting to old for the squish the bug explanations anymore! If it were acceptable you would see the big boys and girls using it that make millions of dollars!

The problem is that you do see squishing the bug in the follow through of good swings

Since people see it there, they assume it was also present at the POC.

Oct 12, 2009
2008_05_derekjeter.jpg

AAHE195_8x10-2006BattingAction~Derek-Jeter-Posters.jpg

I happened to know to go find pictures of him, because he's one of the featured players in Right View Pro and is the classic example of what I teach. It's easy to say I'm old fashioned for using the "forbidden" term "squish the bug" to keep things simple and give girls a visual, but it's hard to argue with his success. I do teach girls to both load and stride, so no that video isn't of me.

While Jeter looks like this during his follow through, he looks like this around the POC.

DerekJeter.jpg

May 12, 2008
Again, it's not necessary to come all the way up on the toe like that to have not squished the bug. Some clips I've seen of Bonds comes to mind.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Jeter will fall back more because of his swing, he hits pitches down the middle and slightly in the other way often. Very hittable pitches that could be pulled more easily. On many of his swings he has the same exaggerated torque that most hitters show when hitting a inside pitch to the pull side (when a ball is bearing in on the hitter).

The pictures shown, I would not doubt by the look of his eyes and position of his head he hit inside pitches the other way. Full turn of the shoulders, front foot coming up on the side, looks like Ted Williams follow through on a pulled pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad