Sprained wrist on glove hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I simply thought that I can not be the only one that has dealt with a sprain on a child & thought that maybe someone had some advice on how to help her work through it. Heck back in my day I played with sprains all the time... I can't remember playing basketball or softball without something hurting! lol

Thanks for all the replies & advice :)

You're not. If I took my daughter to the doctor anytime she had pain, we'd we there every other weekend in the summer. I'd just make a standing appointment for every other Monday.

My general rule of thumb is (TIFWIW): if it's related to bone or muscle pain that happened during a one time event, it'll likely get better on its own. How long it takes to get better depends on how much time can be taken off (rest), how much it hurts, and how the effected part is used in the sport. It's a rarity I take my daughter to the doctor for this - assuming her bone isn't out of place or the pain is so obvious she can't do anything. In which case, of course, take her to the doctor.

What is the doctor/PA really going to say.....here's a brace (or wrap), here is some medication, take X weeks off and I'll see you in 1 (or 2) weeks. Rinse, lather, repeat over and over for every bump, bruise, swelling or pain.

However, if it's an "itis" type overuse issue, tendonitis, osteochondritis, apophysitis, etc...I wouldn't hesitate to take my daughter and listen to the "letter" on the advice of the doctor. My daughter spent at least half of this past summer watching her team because of iliac apophysitis. You can't really take too much time off from these types of illnesses.

She was cleared to play at the end of June. It wasn't until this past weekend where she finally said, "I kinda felt fast again." Which was ironic because as I was watching her run the bases I thought, she's finally looking a little faster.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Was an X-ray ever performed? If the injured wrist is still swollen and still hurts after several days, it needs to be re-evaluated. It is just NOT normal for minor sports injuries to continue to have pain and swelling after a few days. One thing about children's bones in particular is that an initial X-ray may not show a hairline fracture, and it only becomes obvious on the X-ray once there has been some healing and bone remodelling. If she is still having pain, it is worth the cost of the X-ray to know if there is a fracture or not, expecially in the wrist.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
Well she is improving every day! First basketball game since the injury & she fought for the ball just as hard, although you could tell she did try & keep that left hand out of the fight or only blocking a shot with 1 hand.
The swelling was only day 1, but I have continued the ice just to help. I think she is coming along well & getting better!
Thanks!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
You're not. If I took my daughter to the doctor anytime she had pain, we'd we there every other weekend in the summer. I'd just make a standing appointment for every other Monday.

My general rule of thumb is (TIFWIW): if it's related to bone or muscle pain that happened during a one time event, it'll likely get better on its own. How long it takes to get better depends on how much time can be taken off (rest), how much it hurts, and how the effected part is used in the sport. It's a rarity I take my daughter to the doctor for this - assuming her bone isn't out of place or the pain is so obvious she can't do anything. In which case, of course, take her to the doctor.

What is the doctor/PA really going to say.....here's a brace (or wrap), here is some medication, take X weeks off and I'll see you in 1 (or 2) weeks. Rinse, lather, repeat over and over for every bump, bruise, swelling or pain.

However, if it's an "itis" type overuse issue, tendonitis, osteochondritis, apophysitis, etc...I wouldn't hesitate to take my daughter and listen to the "letter" on the advice of the doctor. My daughter spent at least half of this past summer watching her team because of iliac apophysitis. You can't really take too much time off from these types of illnesses.

She was cleared to play at the end of June. It wasn't until this past weekend where she finally said, "I kinda felt fast again." Which was ironic because as I was watching her run the bases I thought, she's finally looking a little faster.

I have a very similar approach to sports injuries. Plus I spent 4 years in high school as an athletic trainer (way too many years ago to count). And I agree that if I took DD1 (freshman SB) or DS1 (senior FB) to the doctor everytime they complained something hurt, we would be there at least once a week.

DD1 has been going nonstop since March with multiple games a week. She just finished up her first season of high school ball (where she played every varsity game either at SS or C). The last 2 weeks, I swear she came home with a new gripe about something hurting everyday. Most nights she went to bed with one or more ice packs on various body parts. I just kept telling her it is overuse and it will all get better when your body can rest. Her most consistent complaint was her wrist.

She has an appt Thursday morning to go see the doctor. Her travel ball coach has a practice scheduled for Sunday and 2 tournaments lined up in the next 3 weeks. Softball may have to be put on hold. She needs to take time to let it heal.

She's 14, she will heal fast, but only if she is given the time to do so. I hope her wrist is just sprained and that she hasn't done any serious damage by waiting out the season because she didn't want to let her team down.

Make sure your DD has the time to heal from an injury. If she keeps reinjuring it, it will become a chronic pain and will lead to more problems in the future.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I have to allow her (at age 12) to tell me when the pain it too much, or is it just one of those nagging things that she can play though.

Be careful. I let my 17 year old do that and now she has to take off the fall season. She started with a slight groin pull and by the time the pain was unbearable it was not just the groin but the glut and hamstring. She is still in physical therapy twice a week and the "slight" pull happened in Boulder. She used tiger balm and wrapped it and played. The third game into PGF the coach finally told her she was done. My DD never did fess up to how bad it was. Some kids will play through pain.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
This is your kids health you're talking about. Not sure how "playing through the pain" is going to do her any good.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
This is your kids health you're talking about. Not sure how "playing through the pain" is going to do her any good.

I didn't say "playing through the pain", if you read above I simply said if this is just a "nagging thing that she can play through". Maybe it wasn't pain at all, just one of those little nagging things that kids get was all I meant! And she has improved greatly playing with it taped... thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207