Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
I do not know if it matters but 10 mph on a 40 MPH pitch is a lot different then 10 MPH on a 60 MPH pitch.

As she picks up speed on your fastball her change up speed need to pick up too.

DD uses a flip change, if I had to start over I think I would have taught her a different CU that follows in speed with her fastball esier.

Out of curiosity, why would you have had her throw a different changeup? Reason I ask is because my daughter who is 11 throws the flip and she kills with it. Her cruise speed is around 49 now and she throws her change at around 37. It really works well and I haven't seen a better change up (or really anything close to as effective) in her age group in the tournaments she's played in. Your comment concerns me because she's committed to it and because it's working so well I'm worried she'll need to change it at some point?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Flip is great but seems more a science then anything else.

Lol of change ups you can change your hand position and get same results.

Oct 14, 2016
That flip change will work with younger players. Older experienced hitters may see the ball coming off the hand and rolling off the fingers and can identify the pitch because will look different than the fastball release. I also believe that flip change can run the risk of "hanging" ...just a my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD threw a flip change and it took her well over a year to be able to throw it in a game. When it was on it was nasty, but only because she had a legit riseball to compliment it. Had she not had a great rise it would not have been an effective CU. The whole concept of a CU is that it looks like something it is not. When you get to the level where hitters start reading and reacting to the spin of a pitch, your CU had better look like one of your other pitches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA