sore losers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DDs team played in two one days this weekend, part of same tourney really, but 14u was on Sat, 16u sunday, it was our orgs tournament, and they needed additional 16u team to round out bracket, so we played 16u as well. won both.

champ game of 16u, pretty good 16u team, some decent speed and power, I guess they thought it was going to be a pushover (they pummelled our 16u team in pool play). we are away, our girls put up 2 in first. clearly this bothers coaches and players for opposition, throughout the next couple of innings, they ask for time at least 3 times to complain about our girls cheering. our girls do not change volume or pitch during the windup/delivery, they are just constantly loud, like from the time the pitch is received until the next pitch is delivered (they seem to take a breath after release). so the obviously peeved coach direct their girls to do the same. but they only cheer loud after pitcher takes signal, but like us, do not chnage volume or pitch during windup/delivery, so it is all legal. It has absolutely NO effect on our pitcher, who is throwing hard, pitched a really nice game, battled through some erros and giving up 2 run homer in first.

back and forth game, our girls push the go ahead run across in last inning, and then go out to defend. new pitcher, not as fast, but great control. end result, game ends on a SO / caught stealing play.

Opposition, players, coaches, and parents were all visibly steamed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Emotionally non-focussed people do emotionally reactive things!

Much of this extra junk has nothing to do with sports.

Which is a huge communication point!
The more we focus on our
~Softball Goals~
The more the junk diminishes from sight and sound.
It then becomes irrelevant!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cheering or load noise is always interesting. To be fair DD was an insticater, quite dugout and her did not work out.

HC was coaching 3rd and yelled at dugout to shut up because the batter could not hear his important advice while she was in middle of her at bat.

No noise for a couple innings, just quite. Seemed like we were at church. Hear the birds chirping dogs barking a few blocks over. Occasionally crack of bat, love that sound even if it's the other Team.

HC made a half hearted apology to the players, did not work for them. They came back a little bit latter and made a real apology so team got back to where they were.

I am not sure if I am teaching DD or she is teaching me.

16U 3rd base coach was purposely yelling at DD while she was pitching. It disappointed me that DD noticed and bother her. Not the solution to everything but DD has had some errant throws.

May 23, 2018
DDs team played in two one days this weekend, part of same tourney really, but 14u was on Sat, 16u sunday, it was our orgs tournament, and they needed additional 16u team to round out bracket, so we played 16u as well. won both.

champ game of 16u, pretty good 16u team, some decent speed and power, I guess they thought it was going to be a pushover (they pummelled our 16u team in pool play). we are away, our girls put up 2 in first. clearly this bothers coaches and players for opposition, throughout the next couple of innings, they ask for time at least 3 times to complain about our girls cheering. our girls do not change volume or pitch during the windup/delivery, they are just constantly loud, like from the time the pitch is received until the next pitch is delivered (they seem to take a breath after release). so the obviously peeved coach direct their girls to do the same. but they only cheer loud after pitcher takes signal, but like us, do not chnage volume or pitch during windup/delivery, so it is all legal. It has absolutely NO effect on our pitcher, who is throwing hard, pitched a really nice game, battled through some erros and giving up 2 run homer in first.

back and forth game, our girls push the go ahead run across in last inning, and then go out to defend. new pitcher, not as fast, but great control. end result, game ends on a SO / caught stealing play.

Ah, as a pitching coach and as an umpire, this topic strikes a nerve!!!! I absolutely hate excuses! I've had coaches come out complaining about the loudness of the opponent cheering. I'll tell them that the girls can cheer as loud as humanly possible, and there's nothing I can or will do about it. If you have to regulate bench noise, then where do you draw the line? What I'd like to really tell the coach ( or the parent whose daughter is pitching) is to stop enabling failure! I can't tell you how many times I've had coaches call time out and go to the mound with a water bottle and scrape the mound with their shoes because little Suzy feels uncomfortable on the mound. If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be almost comical - three adults pushing dirt on the mound, almost, penguin-like. I'm a bit of a hard-rear when it comes to external influences on pitching. DO NOT GIVE THE PLAYER AN EXCUSE TO FAIL! As pitchers, you learn by failure. That's how you get better. My students know better than to ask for a different ball because it's wet, doesn't feel right, or doesn't have great seams. Excuses! My other rule for coaches and parents is to not shout pitching advice to the pitcher while she's on the mound. Talk to her between innings only. Most girls that have been pitching a while know their bodies fairly well. Again, I use the Socratic method - I'll ask a girl if she knows what went wrong. Usually, they know exactly what they did or didn't do.

If a pitcher has to complain about the opponent's bench noise, this is an epic fail on the part of the pitcher! She should be locked and focused.

May 23, 2018

Having said what I said in my previous post, it's probably just sore losers looking for any excuse about losing.

May 23, 2018
Cheering or load noise is always interesting. To be fair DD was an insticater, quite dugout and her did not work out.

HC was coaching 3rd and yelled at dugout to shut up because the batter could not hear his important advice while she was in middle of her at bat.

No noise for a couple innings, just quite. Seemed like we were at church. Hear the birds chirping dogs barking a few blocks over. Occasionally crack of bat, love that sound even if it's the other Team.

HC made a half hearted apology to the players, did not work for them. They came back a little bit latter and made a real apology so team got back to where they were.

I am not sure if I am teaching DD or she is teaching me.

16U 3rd base coach was purposely yelling at DD while she was pitching. It disappointed me that DD noticed and bother her. Not the solution to everything but DD has had some errant throws.

As an umpire, that's the big no-no. Bench cheering, no matter how loud, is okay. When a base coach speaks directly or indirectly to an opponent, especially a pitcher, that deserves heightened scrutiny. Anything short of a compliment or laudatory praise gets a warning, and then an ejection. I've ejected coaches, after a warning, that called for a time out in the middle of the pitcher's delivery. I'll grant a time out immediately, not so much for the requesting coach, as it is to give the coach a warning about not calling time out in the middle of the action on the field. Most coaches do it inadvertently, but a few do it intentionally. I've had a coach come out and argue that the pitcher committed an illegal pitch because she stopped the motion after he yells time out. Rule 10 allows me to impose time out, whether it's called on the field or not, in the fair administration of the game. But a coach should not be engaging in conversation with an opponent, unless its praise, and even then, after the action has been completed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs