Some rules to Ponder.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry, long days and not enough sleep. Too many R numbers going on.

The tag of r2 would remove the force of r1, but yes the interference by retired r2 would make the out of r3 a force at 2nd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2018
@jackfrost I don't think that is right ... I have no run scoring in any case on this play (unless the tag out occurred on a runner behind the runner closest to home). If the bases are loaded, the out on the closest runner is still going to be a force out, regardless whether it was at first base or second base.

Pre-pitch
R1 on third
R2 on second
R3 on first

During the play
R1 crosses home
R2 tagged out (out #2)
R3 closest to home -- out on the interference (out #3) even if she reached safely; since this occurred at a base the runner was forced to, it is considered a force out.
BR running to first -- doesn't matter

Looks like others commented above. I agree with you. R2 tagged out and then when she subsequently interfers, R3 runner closest to home is out. If she had not attained 2B at the time it would be a force for 3rd out. No run would score.

The scenario I should have stated was R3 from 1st is tagged out and then interferes. In that case the runner closest to home is on 3B, that is not a force out so the runner scores in that situation. Do I have it right this time? if the interference occured BEHIND the lead runner, then the 3rd out is not a force. i shoud have thought this through a little more. Thanks

May 29, 2015
Yes, if the tag is behind a forced runner, no longer a force out. Then it becomes a time play ... did the scoring runner cross before the interference occurred (not when the umpire calls it!)? If yes, then the run scores ... if no, then no.

We can get into appeal plays and how that changes things ... :eek:

Aug 25, 2019
91. A line drive to right field touches the foul line beyond first base and bounces into foul territory where it hits the fence and rebounds to F9 who is standing in a) fair territory, or b) foul territory.

Ruling - in a) and b), LIVE BALL and FAIR. Any batted ball which first falls or is touched on or over fair territory (which includes the foul lines) beyond first or third base is a FAIR BALL. The actions of the ball after the initial touch to the ground, and the location of the fielder, are of no significance in determining fair/foul status (3.FAIR BALL.F, p 21; 3.FAIR TERRITORY, p 21)

92. R1 is on second base. The batter hits a pitched ball in the air to the outfield. R1 stands behind second base and not in contact with the bag to get a running start. The fly ball is dropped by the outfielder. After the ball is touched, R1 advances, touching second base on her way toward third base.

Ruling - LIVE BALL and the runner is OUT. A runner is out when she is detected taking a position for a running start behind and not in contact with a base. The ruling covers any fly ball; the ball need not be caught for the rule to be in effect (8.18.R, p 52)

93. Two outfielders attempt to field a fly ball. The ball hits off one of the fielders on the foot and, while still in the air, is caught by the other fielder.

Ruling - a LEGAL CATCH, and the batter is out. A catch is credited when the ball is caught in flight before it strikes anything or anyone other than another defensive player (3.CATCH.B.6, p 19)

94. The bases are loaded with one out. F6 intentionally drops a lazy pop-up near second base. Another infielder recovers the ball and quickly tags out a surprised R2 who is off second base.

Ruling - LIVE BALL; the batter AND the runner are BOTH OUT on this play. The batter is out on the INFIELD FLY RULE, which takes precedence over the intentionally dropped ball run. R2 is out (when legally tagged) because when the IFFR is in effect, the runner runs at her own risk (8.17.H EFFECT, p 49-50)

95. The batter hits a pitched ball above the infield. The fly ball lands in fair territory just beyond first or third base on the outfield side of the base line. The batted ball spins back into the infield and rolls into foul territory between home and third base, or home and first base. The ball then rolls out of play.

Ruling - FAIR BALL (and live), then DEAD BALL and a TWO BASE AWARD based on runner position at TIME OF PITCH. A batted ball which first falls in fair territory beyond first or third base is fair, regardless of the actions of the ball afterwards. Runners are awarded two bases when a fair batted ball becomes dead because it goes out of play (3.FAIR BALL.F, p 21; 8.14.C.1, p 47)

Jan 7, 2012
We could have used #94 on the other thread. It would have saved me a lot of typing . Where the heck were ya? Lol

Jan 7, 2012
Sorry about that . I apologize.. As for #92, rule 8-7-V would be the USA equivalent. It states, The runner is out when a runner is positioned behind and not in contact with a base to get a running start on any fly ball

Jun 22, 2008
Is it a Infield Fly Rule if the umpire doesn't call it?

Yes, in every other ruleset I am familiar with except NCAA it is the situation that makes it an infield fly, not the umpire calling it. The infield fly can be ruled after the fact if it isnt called and puts either team in jeopardy.

NCAA is the only ruleset I am aware of that states the umpires must call it for it to be in infield fly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad