Some questions for the Easton crowd.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
With the info that the OP provided (girl, 12u, swinginging cf6), and knowing a little bit about girls that age, the Mako is probably the clear choice.

Girls generally favor 'shiny and new and pretty.' Dad's tend to favor performance, though many Daddies also equate shiny/new/pretty to "just a little hotter than last years model that I have been the cheerleader/spokesperson for." Lol, that should be it's own thread.

I am making some assumptions here, but I'd bet that the OP is looking for performance while his DD probably likes what 12yu girls like. Hence, the Mako is the most likely out of all bats mentioned to make both Dad and DD happy.

My kid swings old school and it is something of a badge of honor for her. I could elaborate but shameless bragging is not my thing. ;)

I know you said you were making assumptions, but new and shiny means nothing to my DD. She carries two bats, her CF6 and a
30" Rocketech and both are NOT pretty at all. I am definitely all about performance which is why I'm inquiring about the older
Eastons. With all the great things said here about the discontinued Eastons, I would love to try one and hopefully give my DD
an advantage. Also, finding a used one, I know it won't be pretty. vdubya, I definitely understand what you're saying about
12yo girls, I've coached a team full of them for the last two years.

Jan 24, 2009
I know you said you were making assumptions, but new and shiny means nothing to my DD. She carries two bats, her CF6 and a
30" Rocketech and both are NOT pretty at all. I am definitely all about performance which is why I'm inquiring about the older
Eastons. With all the great things said here about the discontinued Eastons, I would love to try one and hopefully give my DD
an advantage. Also, finding a used one, I know it won't be pretty. vdubya, I definitely understand what you're saying about
12yo girls, I've coached a team full of them for the last two years.

At that age, you being a coach has a ton of influence on what bat/bats the players like, including your DD :)

It sounds like your DD is in good hands. Can I change my vote?

Find a 1B/2B that has been around the block and shows the wear from it. Those that have changed hands on SBF three or four times and are rather beat up are some of the best performers IMO. The Daddie hits as mentioned previously is great advice.

Good luck.
VW

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One general thing about bats. Never let your DD think that she's successful BECAUSE OF the bat. And try to never let her become so attached to a particular model or maker so that it becomes a traumatic experience when she has to use another because her favorite breaks, isn't legal by the applicable association, or her next team requires that she has use a single maker's models. Hmmm, that might be two general things.

Sep 29, 2014
Someone gave my 12U DD a SSR3B. Would this bat be an upgrade over her current 2014 Xeno?

The SSR3B was used for several years. We haven't tried it in the cages yet, but will soon.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Just because the bat was used, doesn't mean its better. Just because a bat is the old model, doesn't mean its better. You have to stop the thinking that every older bat is automatically better just because its older.

To be honest, the reason the older models can possibly become better is because they don't stop getting hotter. So, if you take this idea and the fact that there is a testing in place in some tournys. The insane hot older bats aren't technically legal if they cant pass the 1550psi.

For example, your Xeno could test at 1650 psi and the used older bat could test at 1750 or more. The older bat could test 1400...could test 2250. Who knows.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD was a die-hard Easton fan. Started with the 2012 Stealth 32/22 - loved it until it cracked. Sent it in for a warranty replacement. They sent back a 2013 FS1 32/22. Took a long time to get used to it and break it in but then she loved it - not as much as her Stealth but enough to ask for a 2013 FS1 33/23 for Christmas (she grew and the 32/22 was just too short/light). Swung the new 33/23 all through 2014 HS & TB season until an umpire said that it was making a weird sound and she couldn't use it anymore - Easton agreed and sent her a 2014 FS1 33/23 that she never took out of the wrapper. Halfway through TB she swung a 2015 LS Xeno 33/24 at a college showcase and fell in love. I told her no - she had a perfectly good brand new bat. So she went out and earned the money to get herself a Xeno 33/24. Just hit a home run with the Xeno this weekend. Loves it. We have a used DeMarini CF3 34/25 that we picked up for her to swing on the really cold days.

Interesting point to note: the 2014 Easton FS1 33/23 weighs 24.5 ounces as opposed to the Xeno 33/24 which weighs exactly 24 ounces. I have been told that the Easton bats weigh heavy so you might want to take that into consideration - there was a post a while back that I think CoreSoftball20 posted that had the average bat weights.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting point to note: the 2014 Easton FS1 33/23 weighs 24.5 ounces as opposed to the Xeno 33/24 which weighs exactly 24 ounces. I have been told that the Easton bats weigh heavy so you might want to take that into consideration - there was a post a while back that I think CoreSoftball20 posted that had the average bat weights.

Easton bats do, indeed, tend to weigh above sticker...
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-equipment/20034-bat-weight-database.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619