Softball Tournament - Questions I need answered

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
IA, if this was a rec league tournament, they should have done a better job of controlling the team rosters.

When my DD was playing rec ball, the rec teams had the option of entering an end-of-the-season tournament for $50 rather than the normal $350 entry fee. The downside was that the tournament was a C class tourney and all the rec teams were basically there as cannon-fodder for the C class tb teams. Even though DD's team didn't make it very deep, I still thought that was a great deal. BTW, the tournament was the catalyst for her to move to tb. Once she saw how softball COULD be played, she wanted that for herself.

IMO the organizers needed to communicate better and either have a completely rec tournament or let the rec teams in for free or a reduced rate versus the amount the tb teams would be charged. It's not fair to let a tb teams come in and beat up on rec players without warning.

Aug 7, 2012
The ASA has nothing to do with the Little League rule book. What the book does say is that a player MUST have played in 60% of the season's regular season schedule. They could apply any games played for school to the games on the schedule that a player may have missed because of school team playing. You should have taken your concerns to your player rep., softball vp, and/or league president.

I coach too. I have coached both levels; little league and competitive travel ball (10-16yo moving up with daughter's age). Growing pains are tough, but you shouldn't soon forget this rule. I used little league for additional playing time for my travel players. There were 6 travel girls on our regular season league team. I am looking into creating another team (recently moved to Billings) and seeing what kind of noise we can make!

I'm sure sorry to hear about how your tournament turned out. We got bounced in semi-final state game this year. I said that I wouldn't be back next year and I am 95% certain of that. Too much chatter about "my kid" coming from stands. My kid lives in TN and I am in MT, lol! They are talking about their kid not playing. If they (the kids) are going to play (or try to) high school ball, they need to know that a coach is going to field the best chance (as they see it) for the team to get a win. They might not even get on the field with HS ball! Oh, well. I may just latch on to a team that is already established too. Love the game too much to not be involved with it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g