"softball swing"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2012
Ohio
My DD had always been comfortable and confident at 8u in her swing and did well. Moved up to 10u (and I know the transition to Kim pitch is something new but she was told "no more baseball swing you have to do a short swing" or what they calla softball swing. She has been stoking out ever since. A few games I told her to just go do her swing it's her a bat and a ball forget strikes and if she can hit it hit forget short swings and be comfortable and she got a triple (I know I am a bad mom. But she had a hitting coach that taught her this swing and broke original bad habits at 8u so I was only telling her to be herself and not over think and to just react.

Now that I have went on a tangent sorry. My question to all you seasoned parents and coaches is there such thing as a softball swing or is her so called baseball swing that she is comfortable with okay? Every video I have watched seemed to have the girls using that same swing. Not one used this short swing.

And since she is already comfortable with it, does well with it and gets around on it times pitchers with it I am not sure why she would need to change it. But I am a parent not a coach and I know parents tend to get in the way some times so before I hold her back or cause her furthers delays I was getting advice from those with more experience

If she just needs to practice this short swing more okay. If not then I will advise her to listen to her hitting coach from last year and be comfortable.

Thank So much for listening to me and for any advice you may have for my DD and her dilemma

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You are right. Your daughter is right and they are wrong.

Get some whiffle balls or softy balls and pitch to her from the front. Encourage her and she will be fine.

I know Ohio is just huge, but there are several hitting experts in your state. You can take her to one, if you need further direction, but I bet she is fine.

Jul 30, 2012
Ohio
Thank you so much for your replies. I am not a argumentative parent I just hated seeing that look she had following strike out after strike out and she was a great hitter and it would happen and she would smile and say I will get it next time but this was different.

She had a very good swing and I had many people compliment it (no clue what they meant by the V or anything else they were saying but they seemed to know) so I will tell her to use her swing and to forget the "short so called softball swing"

Thank you all for your time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG