Softball skills video Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The fly balls are a common outfield drill that coaches use to work on tracking the ball. Showing her camped under fly balls seemed boring. Lol. No clue how I missed those typos. Thanx for pointing those out

I liked the improvements in this version. You will fix the spelling etc and it will be in the top 5% in terms of quality. That will mean a better chance of someone you are marketing to watching it - that is good. There will always be things to improve, but at some point there is limited return for effort. You are not making a work of art here - it is a marketing video and you get a lot of info into the 3 minutes.

Every coach knows the drop step drill for outfielders so I don't see it being an issue - shows she can change direction, move fast and make a play.

Agree with other posters - make sure she is legally hitting in the videos. If people here are concerned and noticing, so will coaches. Also one hit I went 'Oh that wasn't a good one' - don't need that one in there either.

The intro still bugs me - I think it may be the music as I was worried it was going to continue through the video. I'd almost put her intro first and highlights second.

If you ever decide to do this again: when you shoot from behind/side/etc - shoot from a low as perspective as you can without it being too obvious. Shooting 'up' makes subjects look taller and more powerful - shooting down makes the subject look smaller.

Last thing:

Watching this I get:
- Primarily wants to be a pitcher in college
- Slapper/short game hitter with speed but limited power (since slaps/bunts shown before regular hitting and regular swings weren't leaving the park)
- Outfielder

If that is who she is and what she is looking for, then you have a successful video. It it is not, you need to think about what you want to convey.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you ever decide to do this again: when you shoot from behind/side/etc - shoot from a low as perspective as you can without it being too obvious. Shooting 'up' makes subjects look taller and more powerful - shooting down makes the subject look smaller.

You are hired if you can make DD look 5' tall.

Dec 19, 2012
The fly balls are a common outfield drill that coaches use to work on tracking the ball. Showing her camped under fly balls seemed boring. Lol. No clue how I missed those typos. Thanx for pointing those out

Coaches teach outfielders to track the ball like that?? I am confused. Drop stepping and going back in a fairly straight line to catch a ball I fully understand. Taking "S" turns to catch a ball I do not understand at all.

This to me is a drop step drill. Notice that the eyes are never taken off the ball. Notice the straight line that is run.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Coaches teach outfielders to track the ball like that?? I am confused. Drop stepping and going back in a fairly straight line to catch a ball I fully understand. Taking "S" turns to catch a ball I do not understand at all.

This to me is a drop step drill. Notice that the eyes are never taken off the ball. Notice the straight line that is run.

This is how I teach changing directions, never turn your back to the ball..

Dec 19, 2012
Okay, so it's a recovery drill. It is not a drill meant to track a ball. It is a drill meant to recover from not tracking the ball properly......in other words it's a drill to recover from bad judgement. If that's what you want in your video that's fine. It's your video, but you're asking for honesty and I honestly believe many college coaches would not look at it favorably. They would rather see proper execution. The recovery is an athletic move, but you're already showing your dd's athleticism throughout the video and this comes off looking like scripted fluff and/or poor tracking. JMHO.

Dec 19, 2012
Here is the drill. I've seen so many colleges do this advanced drill. Weird that so many of you guys have never see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGI-uZNMgQ

Just a quick google search and the only video I can find for this drill is from winningbaseball.com. A quick google search for drop step yielded oodles of videos. Where are these college drills for the head snap recovery drill? I'm finding college drop step drills.........

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I think overall your dd is a stud player. However, as others have said, shorten up the video to simply include:
1. 2 or 3 angles of each pitch (only keep the ones that hit the spots perfectly)
2. 2 or 3 swings, drags, and slaps
3. keep the base running (that looks great)
4. lastly, clean up the out fielding. you only need to show her arm, range/speed.

Jun 18, 2013
To me it almost looks like you sped the video up when she ran.

There was one time when she ran out of the box after simulating a bunt, right at 2:16 in the video, that it looked like the video sped up right as she was leaving the box to me too. I don't know what it was, but it looked very odd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah