Softball revenge stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
One time in a friendly we "inverted" out batting order to get the girls who usually bat in bottom half of the order some more swings. You should have seen the look on the opposing coaches face when our #9 batter hit a 250' bomb.....

My DD is an average batter, so she usually hits in the bottom 1/3 of our order, and I love it when opposing coaches assume she cannot hit and throws meatballs.

A few years ago, we started batting our cleanup hitter in the lead off spot and mixed up the whole lineup to create a spark . It generally resulted in some meat pitches from teams that hadn't played us yet. There were a couple games that she led off with homers. It set the mood pretty well for the rest of the team.
We had a somewhat unual lineup that year. It became a rally point for the girls when we went to that lineup. So much so that we had the line up printed on the back of the parent's shirts.

Apr 16, 2013
Not softball per se, but my DD is a baseball player so we've got a # on these stories.

Our rec league used to be awesome. Long story short, the league was destroyed by greedy politicians. The independent rec league still tried to manage on and we were able to field 3 teams. We played other town teams. The local players knew my DD and had earned their respect. These other teams, well you can imagine the fun when a girl walked on the field. My DD had been one of the top pitchers in the league since the day she first started pitching. She started the game against this one team from another town, and one of the boys was just consistently yelling, "Girls can't play baseball"! First inning, she struck out the first 3 batters on 10 pitches. Second inning this boy still hadn't stopped. Don't remember which batter he was, but she struck him out on 3 pitches. As he walked back to the dugout she just tossed the ball in her glove and watched him walk the whole way back. She struck out 2 that inning and the only kid that hit the ball hit it right back to her for the easy out at 1st. At bat she busted the ball and got on base every at bat. After that 2nd inning, the other dugout got eerily quiet.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
our 1st year at 10U, facing the team that was supposed to win the tournament (2nd year 10U) on Sunday, single elimination. My self and my assistant were looking at the board, when the coaches of the team we were going to play comes up (not seeing us) and you can tell they are totally looking past us devising strategy for the game after us. Well I go back and mention to the girls what happened.
WOW, they came out and probably played the best they ever have. At one point we were up 7-0 or 7-1 about the 5th inning, I look over to the other dugout and both coaches have their heads down. I think we beat them 9-1 or something like that.

It did teach me a great lesson, since that time I have never looked past a team.

Jun 9, 2009
Several years ago my DD - who would be a freshman the following school year - was asked to join a travel team from another town. There were no teams in our small town. Our high school coach was a sometimes assistant for this team and arranged it. They had two established pitchers but we came on with the understanding that she would get some innings when the opportunity arose. Several tourneys came an went and she never threw a pitch. We didn't say anything but our HS coach was pretty unhappy about the whole thing.

Finally, at the 2nd-to-last tourney of the year, the HS coach tells us "(DD) is going to start the next game." HC never told us she would start, but did warm her up pre-game. Well, she didn't start, the usual #1 did. DD did come in and pitch 2 shutout innings in the 6th and 7th. We were a little confused, but still didn't say much. Come to find out later that the #1's father had thrown a s##t-fit behind the scenes when told my DD was going to start. He threatened to pull his daughter for the remainder of the season and the HC caved. DD didn't pitch again. We finished the year and were done with the team as far as we were concerned.

Fast forward to next spring and the high school season. My DD is the new #1 for the high scool team, and, as luck would have it, the other girl is the new #1 for the team we open the season with, who also just happen to be our school's arch rivals. This girl was a highly regarded pitcher in our area, whereas those 2 innings were the only pitches my daughter had ever thrown outside of Little League. DD goes out an throws a 4 hitter and beats them handily. How sweet it was. :cool:

The best part was that after that travel season the HC had a blowup with the parents of both other pitchers and ended up losing both of them... so there he was the following season BEGGING my DD to come pitch for him. It was awesome.

Jun 7, 2013
I am not sure if this is a revenge story, per se, or more of a tribute to my DDs persistence and belief in herself. To my utter shock and surprise, my DD in 4th grade rec ball decided to become a pitcher. One of the ACs DD on the team was more advanced as a pitcher and he wanted his DD pitched pretty much all he time. Fortunately, the HC did not go for that and by the end of the season my DD was at least as good of a pitcher as his DD.

The next year to get his DD more pitching time, I assume, he took over HC responsibilities and nearly exclusively only pitched his DD and the neighbor's DD. This, of course, was heart breaking to my DD. Fortunately, the next year this HC moved on to travel ball and became the "A" team coach. This allowed my DD to pitch and she was undoubtedly the best pitcher in the league with about a 90% strikeout ratio.

Obviously, it was time to move on to travel ball but all the way this coach would not take my DD. So, my DD was placed on the "B" team all the time up to this year where, with her pitching dominance, it would have been beyond totally ridiculous not to put her on the "A" team.

And now, yesterday, my DD made her varsity debut and had performed well while this coaches DD was not even pitched. And my DD is one of the girls being looked at for next year to takeover for the current varsity starter who will be leaving for a full ride at a top 10 school.

I am very proud of my DD. She decided what she wanted and went after it besides the very strong obstacle in her way of a coach that wanted to protect his DDs pitching career. I guess that persistence pays!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not my daughter, but a girl that's been playing with my daughter for 6 years now: In the midst of 3 friendlies, she was batting last. Normally she's a leadoff or #2 hitter, but she was going to catch all 3 games (when she normally only catches one), so the manager wanted to rest her as much as possible. She's also training to run the marathon and has a long-distance runner's body. As she's coming up to bat, the opposing coach yells out to his team, "Outfield and infield, up, this is the bottom of the lineup, no hitter, get the easy out at 1!" She drives the first pitch over the left fielder and sprints around the bases for a HR. As she's rounding 1st she yells to the coach, "Easy out, eh coach?"
Coaches who assume things always crack me up. My dd is a left handed batter and she frequently leads off, my dd is not speedy, she is not a slap hitter or someone who bunts for hits. Her second year of 14u her coach led her off every game. I can't tell you the number of teams who immediately went into a slapper defense, and pitched her inside. She led off so many games with a triple to right it was surprising. And the damndest thing was how many teams went into slapper defense on her second at bat.

Feb 13, 2013
Revenge for my daughter came sooner in the season than expected after the initial game was cancelled due to weather. We ended up playing the team in a local tournament last weekend. It was interesting that the player they decided to move up in front of my daughter started on the mound for them and it was my daughters turn in the rotation to pitch. Final score of the game was 11-1 in 5 innings, we won. My daughters first at bat the bases were loaded and she hit a single to right/center to score two runs, this was after the coaches from the other team said "this is an easy out". After about three innings they pulled their starting pitcher, did not stop the team from hitting. Found out later the AD was in the dugout, this was the person that said my daughter was no good. Later the evening the AD walked by my wife and my self, did not say a word and looked pissed. I was let down the AD did not stop and talk.;) Still have the makeup game to play against them, and still looking forward to that game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Coaches who assume things always crack me up. My dd is a left handed batter and she frequently leads off, my dd is not speedy, she is not a slap hitter or someone who bunts for hits. Her second year of 14u her coach led her off every game. I can't tell you the number of teams who immediately went into a slapper defense, and pitched her inside. She led off so many games with a triple to right it was surprising. And the damndest thing was how many teams went into slapper defense on her second at bat.

We had a similar player on our team last year and we taught her to start in the back of the box and do a slapper "walk through" on the first pitch she saw.....then she would set up and swing away. I bet she had 10+ triples when the opposing coach pulled in the RF after the first pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying