Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
yes that was his conclusion, but he did all this sciency stuff to prove it. You know-stuff like how the collision involves "energy transfer" and how the bat transfers energy to the ball. See a pitcher can't stand at home plate and throw a ball into the upper deck in RF, the bat needs to supply energy to the ball to get it to travel into the upper deck. That transfer of energy comes from the kinetic energy of the bat, which means that by definition the bat has to lose energy...you know slow down and such....it's complicated, I know. But I am willing to give Newton and folks like the good doctor the benefit of the doubt.

there is one way you can swing a bat to show that ZEPP plot I posted without violating the laws of physics but outside of your hitting clinics I doubt that swing method is taught. You grip the bat in the middle and then swing normally but hit the ball with the handle instead of the barrel. that would do it.

Yes, he used the law of conservation of momentum. Many don't consider that overly complicated. It's covered in most HS's throughout the US.

It's pretty simple. Stay away from TCB balls, square the ball, and teach the realization of extension powered by pre-impact mechanics.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yes, he used the law of conservation of momentum. Many don't consider that overly complicated. It's covered in most HS's throughout the US.

It's pretty simple. Stay away from TCB balls, square the ball, and teach the realization of extension powered by pre-impact mechanics.

Right? basic stuff, makes you wonder how it can be so completely misunderstood. Of course if you could push so hard as to keep your bat at 60 mph through impact then a hitter would be able to "fling" a TCB ball pretty deep into the outfield on the fly....but let's not let that fact get in the way. have a good night.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see, yet there is a significant amount of data that shows the onslaught of rapid deceleration prior to impact. We'll just sweep that data under the rug for now. Carry on.

Maybe I've missed something, but the "data" I recall is a Zepp graph. As I have said before, I don't have faith in the accuracy of Zepp's graphing of the impact point. In the context of a decent swing, I'm having a hard time understanding how anything besides impact is causing the rapid deceleration (sharp drop-off) we see on the Zepp graphs. I agree that a bat that is launched/whipped/thrown prior to impact will not continue to accelerate to impact, and may indeed have some deceleration, but a sharp drop-off on the graph happening prior to impact is not a desirable feature in the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
stock-illustration-76326417-sweep-it-under-the-rug.jpg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
FFS - If bat speed is one of the single biggest factors in hitting the ball a long way, why would rapid deceleration PRIOR to impact be something we want? It simply doesn't make sense....or maybe I'm dumb (certainly a possibility).

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Eric- you are definitely not stupid. This rapid deceleration idea is just nonsense. It doesn't make sense from a practical hitting perspective and there is no plausible explanation from a physics perspective. it is simple misuse of limited data to try to prove an asinine point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad