Snf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Uhh - no you haven't. And it begs the question - if you have been - then why did you glom all over the power triangle and wiping off your rear butt cheek like it was brand new?

And you are still trying to nutriblend it all into the EPSTEINYEAGERHIREARLEGCORETURNTHEFRIGGINBARRELAROUNDALONGCARWASHSNAPPINGTOWELS model

We've been talking about the positive attack angle for well over a decade. The GIF that RDBASS frequently posts, of Cabrera with a red line across the shoulders with a positive attack angle, is a GIF I created 5yrs ago. It's been a topic since I can remember discussions on hitting. You make it sound like this is all new to you ... which maybe it is, but that hasn't been the case for many of us.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge

And yet TDS is the one that is dodging. Why do you figure that is? Could it be because his attack on "one-legged" hitting with that GIF, is foolish?

For crying out loud, check to see if that result is at least representative before spewing it all over the Internet. Sad that folks would be so desperate for attention.

The notion of "one-legged" vs. "two-legged" hitting is silly ... given that the vast majority of people with two healthy legs use both of their legs in some capacity in hitting. Much better would be to discuss the actual details ... but instead we keep reading of this "one-legged" versus "two-legged" nonsense.

May 3, 2014
View attachment 9521
it does not compute, it does not compute, it does not compute.........................

dangerwillrobinson.jpg

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS, I asked you earlier today if you felt all HI hitters demonstrated this core action. You avoided the question. Will you answer it now?

Five, I see the HI kid launching the swing while arching his lower back while Bonds is doing the opposite with his lower back. I also see the HI kid firing his rear leg/hip while the front leg/hip is reacting to the rear leg/hip actions. The sequence of movements (cause/effect) are not the same.. One movement pattern is allowed to sit on off-speed pitches while the other is not..

Does the HI kids movement pattern allow him to sit on an off-speed pitch?

Like I have said all along both movement patterns work but they aren't compatible due to different cause/effects.

Patternvs_zpsdb429030.gif

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
nope, but He sure does start the lower clearing out with that front leg mule kick? Why do you think that is Five?

And it's funny cuz I asked you "So is He 1 legged or 2?" at the bottom of my post and you quoted my post but removed my question to you at the bottom of my quoted post then asked me the same question. Too Funny!

Tjintx, there is no front leg action in that clip. The front leg is being moved...

Five, I see the HI kid launching the swing while arching his lower back while Bonds is doing the opposite with his lower back. I also see the HI kid firing his rear leg/hip while the front leg/hip is reacting to the rear leg/hip actions. The sequence of movements (cause/effect) are not the same.. One movement pattern is allowed to sit on off-speed pitches while the other is not..

Does the HI kids movement pattern allow him to sit on an off-speed pitch?

Like I have said all along both movement patterns work but they aren't compatible due to different cause/effects.

TDS hit the nail on the head regarding the front leg. If you dig into the clip frame by frame, you can see that the front leg is being moved by his front hip which is being moved by the rear hip. The small movement at the rear hip (being the center of the turning radius) is amplified at the front hip causing a big front leg movement. Notice how his front leg remains IR'd for so long. If he were intentionally opening, I think we see ER movement in the front foot.

TDS, you say that you see the kid firing his rear hip. I would ask that you take a longer look at the clip. Frame by frame you can see that the rear side movement does not happen until he starts turning the barrel.

The barrel turn IS the trigger. The barrel turn is what kicks off the entire chain. I would say that since the all-in barrel turn is the trigger, it is by far the most efficient movement pattern to protect against the off-speed pitch. We've probably all told a kid to sit on an off-speed pitch... I don't think you could sit any longer than waiting to the last possible split second and then launching the barrel all-in to be perfectly on time.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Tjintx, there is no front leg action in that clip. The front leg is being moved...

TDS hit the nail on the head regarding the front leg. If you dig into the clip frame by frame, you can see that the front leg is being moved by his front hip which is being moved by the rear hip. The small movement at the rear hip (being the center of the turning radius) is amplified at the front hip causing a big front leg movement. Notice how his front leg remains IR'd for so long. If he were intentionally opening, I think we see ER movement in the front foot.

TDS, you say that you see the kid firing his rear hip. I would ask that you take a longer look at the clip. Frame by frame you can see that the rear side movement does not happen until he starts turning the barrel.

The barrel turn IS the trigger. The barrel turn is what kicks off the entire chain. I would say that since the all-in barrel turn is the trigger, it is by far the most efficient movement pattern to protect against the off-speed pitch. We've probably all told a kid to sit on an off-speed pitch... I don't think you could sit any longer than waiting to the last possible split second and then launching the barrel all-in to be perfectly on time.

Jryan, I have never said the HI movement pattern doesn't work... What I have tried to point out is that Bonds (movement pattern) leverages both sides of his body to launch the swing not the rear side only like some have tried to claim..

With Your daughters swing would you say her stride will get longer to accommodate off-speed? Do You have a clip of her adjusting to off-speed? Looking at this clip only in 2D it would appear all the stretching/loading is within the frontal plane (catcher/pitcher) which IMO to extend the stretch the stride would have to get longer unless she isn't moving at all until the pitch is thrown..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I was just adding my comments on what was going on in the HI clip...

1. There is no front side work going on (intentional or unintentional).
2. IMO there is not any intentional rear side work going on.
3. There is unintentional work (automated might be the better word) going on with the rear side because of his setup and continual pull-back.
4. His barrel turn was the trigger (IMO his only intentional "do")
5. IMO Everything else just "happened" (because he setup correctly and did not give up his pullback)

I don't recommend using DD as the model, there is still a lot to work on in that swing. Also it is not a game swing just yet :) so comparisons are not readily available...

That being said I don't know that her stride would be tremendously affected by off-speed. If the pitcher's cruising speed was fast enough, I do think there would be a difference between the two swings. Funny you mention Bonds as I would hope that her reaction to off-speed would be Bonds like.

BondsvBonds.gif

I don't really see any intentional front side movement between the two cuts. His front knee does move differently, but IMO it is a result of rear side actions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g