Small ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
The above is a great start! Create excitment by letting the whole defense know each player has a role....even the outfielders have key back up rolls. Teaching/showing this in live prsctice will do the trick. I would dedicate the whole practice scrimmiging rotating players a lot. Hopefully you have 11 players so you 'll have 1 batter and 1 baserunner.
The catcher most of the time calls out who will be picking up the bunt(she has best view)....typically the third baseman gets most. You as the coach also get the opportunity to get the girls used to getting signals from you(assuming your 3b coach)...don't bunt exclusively, have em swing away so the defense knows what to look for, batter squares to bunt, coners immediately crash in!! Also incorporate baserunning into the mix....getting shortstop to react quickly to cover 2b and second baseman covering 1b. Have Lf cover 3b..No one on defense gets to watch, they ALL have a job!! Its cool when the RF backing up the play gets the overthrow and throws advancing runner out at 3b(covered by LF).
For 12u just learning, live scrimmage is the best, as everyone participates both defensively and on offrnse...plus it gives pitchers some much needed circle time. Good Luck

Did you come secretly coach my DD's rec team between last Sunday and last night? We honestly have no clue on how to cover a bunt, but yet this is what I saw last night at our game. I was impressed!!!

[Did you come secretly coach my DD's rec team between last Sunday and last night? We honestly have no clue on how to cover a bunt, but yet this is what I saw last night at our game. I was impressed!!! /QUOTE]
Thats funny 99....if this is what you saw then your DD's team is heading in the right direction!!

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I believe I "borrowed" this idea from someone on this Board and used it the past 3 years with my 12U team. Lined up the team. Player #1 went out to draw large boxes on the ground in front of HP with numbers in them. Every player got 5 balls and attempted to bunt the 5 balls onto the boxes with the numbers assigned. Any ball on a line was assigned a score by the group as a whole. Winner was the player with the highest score from the 5 balls bunted.

We did this in every practice and it took less than 15 minutes. Once a month we would bring the candy "Smarties" - no peanuts or allergins and the game would be "bunting for Smarties" - winner got to take an entire handful out of the bag.....this made it fun and competitve for the girls.

Mar 13, 2010
We used hula hoops instead of boxes. One of my girls told me she pictures that hula hoop in a game!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck