Slowpitch bat ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
I have been around bats and the game for many, many years...so I know all about what goes/went on and probably more things that people don't know of...haha. The painting thing was rare.
There is a reason why testing was started. Too bad certain associations that preach safety, don't mandate testing. A lot of upper level games are now bucket bat games though.

I think there are many sports with just as much going on...is there even a clean cyclist anymore?

I guess I was talking more about recreational sports than pro sports when I said softball players cheat more. In the area(s) I played I wouldn't call the bat painting rare, but it is/was a lot less uncommon than shaving bats. As far as tourneys I know they have done a ton to try to curve the bat shaving etc. which is good. I haven't played a sanctioned tourney game in 4 years, since my daughter is now the travel player. Before I left shaving bats was rampant and was looked at about the same as HGH in baseball, "everybody is doing it". I am proud to say not everyone was doing it, because they were not allowed on my teams bench.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Everyone Lance Armstrong beat was totally clean...

....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

They try to give awards to the next cyclist...then oops...he is dirty too...haha. I cant do anything but laugh because its the idiocy of the people
running it thinking its only one or two people.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I am proud to say not everyone was doing it, because they were not allowed on my teams bench.

How do you know there wasn't any? Problem was for a long time...everybody thought everybody else was doing it...but never anybody on their team...haha.
I have also learned that the bigger the mouth accusing, was usually doing it themselves. They just thought by blaming every person that hit a ball
hard, made people overlook them :)

But all in all, was it very rampant...yes. Years back, it was brutal. Balls have done a lot to curb it. The new ASA bats stock, hit the 52/300 better than altered bats. And an Ultra will not pass
compression. So a lot of things have done well to help. USSSA, is another animal. They have done nothing to curb. Where I play, the tourney director tests every
single tourney and you get a coded sticker if passes. When I travel to play somewhere else, they don't care about testing and actually are against it because they don't wanna
sacrifice entrance fees by teams that may drop because they cant use their light sabers. heck, their own worlds tourney they don't test...haha.

But I digress...trying not to get this too far off topic.

Yes, you can use sp bats...hahahaha. There back on now :)

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
How do you know there wasn't any? Problem was for a long time...everybody thought everybody else was doing it...but never anybody on their team...haha.
I have also learned that the bigger the mouth accusing, was usually doing it themselves. They just thought by blaming every person that hit a ball
hard, made people overlook them :)

But all in all, was it very rampant...yes. Years back, it was brutal. Balls have done a lot to curb it. The new ASA bats stock, hit the 52/300 better than altered bats. And an Ultra will not pass
compression. So a lot of things have done well to help. USSSA, is another animal. They have done nothing to curb. Where I play, the tourney director tests every
single tourney and you get a coded sticker if passes. When I travel to play somewhere else, they don't care about testing and actually are against it because they don't wanna
sacrifice entrance fees by teams that may drop because they cant use their light sabers. heck, their own worlds tourney they don't test...haha.

But I digress...trying not to get this too far off topic.

Yes, you can use sp bats...hahahaha. There back on now :)

When I was playing it was not to hard to hear the difference in a shaved bat and a legit Bats have changed a little since then. Some guys were taking BP indoors where our girls train (yep slow pitch winter BP) and they were hitting some sticks that sounded different then when I played. I knew plenty of guys that both shaved and used them and some guys used them in league games, but I am confident the guys I played tourneys with didn't use them. The tourney director of our state USSSA's son played for Resmondo and got busted using a shaved bat in a tourney. Nothing happened surprise surprise.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
We considered getting a slowpitch bat for DD. She swings a 34/26 Xeno and it swings a bit light for her but we didn't want to battle with the umpires. She demo'd one during a tournament (all the correct stamps) and kept getting questioned by blue and then they had to talk to the tourney director and head umpire. It was a hassle...

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Most bats do sound way different then a few years ago. Which is why many bats hit better than shaved ones now...especially in ASA.

My point was, you don't really know. To say "your" team was clean and everybody else were cheaters, is a little naïve. I would like to think
my teams were clean, but I would bet somebody had one or two. And to be honest, a lot of this issue stemmed from the fact that a lot
of guys just got sick of being beaten by bats. So then they went out and got them to compete. Then Poof...you had a rampant problem.

Im not saying that there wasn't its fair of just random guys who couldn't admit other people hit harder, that felt the need to cheat. There
were plenty of guys like that. Also why many leagues around here went to supplied bat leagues or where you keep all the team bats at
the fence, and the other team can use them if they want to. That keeps a lot of shady sticks in people's bags as well.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
We considered getting a slowpitch bat for DD. She swings a 34/26 Xeno and it swings a bit light for her but we didn't want to battle with the umpires. She demo'd one during a tournament (all the correct stamps) and kept getting questioned by blue and then they had to talk to the tourney director and head umpire. It was a hassle...

That's only because you don't see many in fp. Maybe talk about it before the game to avoid any issues.
I have had a few customers go to slowpitch because they make supermax endloads, regular endloads and balanced bats. More to choose from
if you have a dd that swings the heavier lumber. Plus, sp bats are cheaper :)

Apr 16, 2013
For slowpitch with grown adults, I just think they should go to all wood. One of our local leagues did that. Actually brings some competition back into the game instead of just a home run fest.

As for my DD and her first tournament, no one even questioned the bats. Of course it was a USSSA tourney and I saw a girl using a ghost, no one questioned her either.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
For slowpitch with grown adults, I just think they should go to all wood. One of our local leagues did that. Actually brings some competition back into the game instead of just a home run fest.

As for my DD and her first tournament, no one even questioned the bats. Of course it was a USSSA tourney and I saw a girl using a ghost, no one questioned her either.

I know where you are coming from, but its a boring game at that point. There no reason that guys shouldn't be allowed decent bats, its just that some wanted more than that...haha.
And if you took away nice bats, then moron sp guys who paid certain stores stupid money for "special" or "exclusive" paint schemes wouldn't have anything to waste
money on and those stores would have to actually learn products and sell for real :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00