Slinky?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Maybe we can all agree in this clip JDM starts out with lead side compressed a bit and rear side lengthened referring to his trunk.

And somewhat like a slinky gravity is helping lower him while he is lengthening the lead side while keeping the rear side from compressing. Gives you an attack down feeling even as you lowering and loading.

Maybe instead of releasing the compressed lead side to immediately fire out of the rear side there is space in time to lengthen both sides. Early and slow. Be on time to the place you need to be to launch the barrel.

UOa52R.gif

May 12, 2016
The changes JD made with his swing in regard to sequence and posture are astounding. Sorry this is off topic Butter, but this is a very good giff to view those changes... carry on

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Maybe we can all agree in this clip JDM starts out with lead side compressed a bit and rear side lengthened referring to his trunk.

And somewhat like a slinky gravity is helping lower him while he is lengthening the lead side while keeping the rear side from compressing. Gives you an attack down feeling even as you lowering and loading.

Maybe instead of releasing the compressed lead side to immediately fire out of the rear side there is space in time to lengthen both sides. Early and slow. Be on time to the place you need to be to launch the barrel.

UOa52R.gif
He is TTB with his torso more than with his hands. And he is not TTB to initiate the launch. His is a great swing to mimic.

Apr 11, 2015
Not to get too "technical", but some of the "stretch" we see, is a result of the arms/scaps (muscles) pulling on the upper part of the torso via their attachment to the ribs....
scapulamusclesfromfront.jpg

This "pulls" (twists) the upper torso rearward or "back" (towards the catcher), while the lower torso (hips) is moving forward. Hence the "FYB" we talk about.

May 3, 2014
Conventional cue of walking away from hands but we know how problematic that can be for some hitters. Betts is lowering the boom and his obliques are getting max stretch. When they contract he gets the whip.

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
Here's a fun little test to see/feel how things work (at least for myself)...

Hang from a bar so your feet are off the ground, and then try to turn/twist your hips. Try doing it with:
a.) Just your legs alone w/o kicking or swinging them...just "contracting"/moving/activating whatever muscles of the legs, hips, "lower half" you'd need to move just the hips (whole pelvic girdle really). Then..
b.) Try doing w/o using your legs at all, and recruit whatever torso, obliques, "upper half" muscles you need to move them. Could you move/turn/twist your hips with just your legs/lower half muscles alone, how about with just your torso/upper half muscles alone, or it didn't matter, you could move them the same either way?

Now stand with your feet on the ground just slightly wider than shoulder width apart, and try to turn/twist your hips. Try doing it with:
a.) Your legs alone, just by "contracting"/moving/activating whatever muscles of the legs, hips, feet, "lower half", w/o using your torso, obliques, shoulders, "upper half" muscles at all. Then..
b.) Try doing w/o using your legs at all, and recruit whatever torso, obliques, "upper half" muscles alone that you need to move them. Could you move/turn/twist your hips with just your legs/lower half muscles alone, how about with just your torso, obliques, upper half muscles alone, w/o using/moving your legs at all, or it didn't matter, you could move them the same either way?

I find I can only move my hips only one way with each of them, depending on if I'm hanging or standing. But that might just be me, and why I ask if it doesn't matter for others, that they able do move the hips/PG either way....regardless if they're standing or hanging.

Be interested in hearing other's results. TIA.

Apr 11, 2015
Ok I tried your experiment. I got a pinched nerve in my back...does that help?
Yes it does! Where in your back, and during which attempt...hanging or standing?

And yes, I know you're being sarcastic, and didn't really hurt your back...and probably didn't even to the experiment. So the questions are rhetorical. 🙃

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619