slapper ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2012
Good Morning Everyone.
Long time lurker first time poster here. My DD is a left handed batter with above average speed. She was in the top 3 last season (12U) in average, slugging and OBS. She just hit or bunted. This year (14U) with a new coach, he wants her to be a full time slapper. I am all for her learning to slap, just not sure if I want her to be FULL TIME slapper. I figure the way she hits the ball you shouldn’t want to take away her swinging, if you add slapping to her repertoire it will make her even harder to get out.
What do you all think?

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
With the power slap getting more attention some coaches don't feel the need to hit. I don't agree. My DD is a slapper who can hit which worked out nicely because she pulled her groin and the cross over step killed her. She was able to keep herself in the line-up. For the younger girls the coach dictates to swing away or slap so you might be stuck there. I would have her continue to work on her hitting. What did her hitting coach say?

Jun 20, 2008
IMO the more things your DD can do on the left the more dangerous she is as a coach I would not limit the ways I could use her, a slapper is dangerous but if you have to wonder if she is going to slap or drag or bunt or hit for power you very dangerous.

Apr 6, 2012
As the parent of a collegiate player who slaps, make sure she continues to hit with power from the left side as well as slap. As she gets older, it will make her very effective.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Full swing power is a big advantage when OF plays shallow. Also, speedy player with drag bunt, soft slap, hard slap and full swing skills makes defense cover every blade of grass and grain of dirt...big advantage over the long season. Plus, some game situations really call for a "drive in a runner" plate appearance. College coaches will want to see at least an adequate full swing for these reasons.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is nothing better than a slapper who can also hit for power. Most slappers are converted right handed batters, so they have very limited power on the left side of the plate. A true lefty should be able to take advantage of a drawn in defense, and occasionally stand in the box and take a full cut. If the defense plays back for the full swing, then she can slap or bunt!

Jun 22, 2008
As everyone has stated, a lefty who can do it all is very dangerous. Hitting away sets up the slap or bunt, and slapping and bunting sets up the hitting away. It makes it next to impossible for the defense to defend. Not to mention, I cant tell you how many times my daughter has gotten catchers obstruction because the catchers just assume she is slapping and they crowd her, only to get the glove taken off their hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32