Slap vs Bunt Definition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013

What is the definition of a slap attempt? I'm curious about this with two strikes on a hitter. Recently, in a tourney the hitter for the opposing team was a slap hitter. She had two strikes and was called out for fouling off an attempt. This is a scenario that happens frequently, but this is the first time I have seen an ump call a slap hitter out for fouling off an attempt with two strikes. The opposing coaches were livid and the ump explained that the hitter moving her feet through the box does not in and of itself constitute a slap attempt. He said, the unless the hitter breaks her wrists it is nothing more than a "moving bunt attempt".

I have to say I totally agree with the ump, but was just wondering if there is a specific definition of a slap hit. Was this just this umpires personal interpretation? I have seen a lot of games and I have never seen this call. I'd like to know the specific rule. I can't even count the number of outs we did NOT get if his interpretation is accurate. I guess I'm a litt disappointed in myself that I have not been more informed.

Thanks in advance...

Jun 22, 2008
There was a thread on this topic a while back, you might try searching for it.

Its pretty simple, was it and attempt to tap the ball slowly in the infield, or was it an attempt to hit the ball? The batter moving through the box means nothing. Things to look for are is the bat moving faster than the batters body, or are they just sticking the bat out and running through the box. Was there an actual swinging motion? The wrists don't necessarily have to break to be a swing. Many times slappers will take a short chopping swing at the ball and the wrists never break, but it is not a bunt.

May 13, 2012
Sounds like an IP quagmire. No matter how the interpretation goes it's still a judgment call and someone ain't happy.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Forget the "breaking the wrists" stuff, it is irrelevant to the rule and its application.

If you ever have an umpire tell you the batter did or did not break his/her wrists as the purpose for making the call, you now have a protest situation.

Feb 21, 2013
Forget the "breaking the wrists" stuff, it is irrelevant to the rule and its application.

If you ever have an umpire tell you the batter did or did not break his/her wrists as the purpose for making the call, you now have a protest situation.

So I read through some other threads, and I still can't find "the rule". Is there a hard an fast rule or is it simply umpire discretion?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I could be wrong but there is not a definition of a slap but there is the definition for a bunt.

So it is a bunt or not a bunt, that is what matters.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So I read through some other threads, and I still can't find "the rule". Is there a hard an fast rule or is it simply umpire discretion?

Bunt: A pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield.

Jun 22, 2008
A slap is not a bunt. And a foul ball is a strike unless the batter already has 2 strikes.

Asa does not have a definition of slap, but nfhs does. A slap is a batted ball that has been struck with a short chopping motion rather than a full swing. It goes on to describe 2 typical motions, squaring to buy t and pulling back and chopping the ball and taking steps through the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877