similar but not the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
z6979.gif

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Besides the obvious, that Ruth is probably 70# heavier. Ichiro's momentum never plants on the "firm front side"... his body movement towards pitcher / first is similar to a slapper and alot of his hits to the 5 or 6 gaps, he's able to out run. Ruth has does a better job sticking the front leg at heel plant and throws the bat head harder. But then again Im no expert, just what I think...

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I actually see some agreement on a few things, some were just strongly discussioning word organization.
But, do hitters snap the knee back, just at contact to get that extra pop?

Ichiro has different swings for different situations. These guys have plenty of skill sets.
Heck, during the world series the some guy pulled out a 3 step slap, perfect execution, on 90 foot base path, dove, was safe, but called out.

Again, do some snap the knee, for extra snap??

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What would Ichiro have to do differently if he wanted to swing for the stands? You might want to talk this one over with your "Teacher" friend.

I could answer, but that would break my rule of ignoring all of your posts.

Also you might check the timelines, everything my teacher friend has posted is a response to what I have posted to you, not vice versa.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Jim ... just want to give a somewhat different and complimentary perspective.

You are speaking of the synchronization relative to the use of two legs.

While it is true that most of us have two legs, there can be value found from considering a one-legged/rear-legged view point. From a one-legged/rear-legged frame work, one can capture the value and sync of the 'back side'. That is, one can understand the importance of the spine engine ... or the scrunching action of the rear lat ... or lateral tilt, in terms of the capture of barrel transition. Make no mistake about it, it is the capture of barrel transition where many error and get lost. Capture the transition of the barrel incorrectly, and the swing is off to a rocky start ... and while every swing is in part an athletic adjustment, it is the athleticism employed after the proper capture of barrel transition that leads to highly adjustable swings.

If you perform a one-legged/rear-legged swing that is powered with your arms, then it will feel wrong and it will feel relatively weak.

4h39k9.gif

On the other hand, if one learns to use their body appropriately to "turn the barrel" ... and learn to make use of the spine engine, then the very act of turning the barrel will have the hips leading ... and the critical sync of capturing barrel transition will be learned.

lideg.gif

There is definite value in having two legs ... but there is a huge value in terms of learning to "turn the barrel" in a manner that properly captures 'barrel transition'.

In bold is the reason I may post/copy a gif is to get the reason behind the posting. I'm at the point with my DD where I'm interested in learning about the hips leading and also stretch. I think these aspects help to make a hitter much better and can ''seperate'' that hitter from other hitters. I am trying to learn and don't care who I learn from not saying that person is right or wrong but, I wont know until I ask. I wanted to know is this something I should try and what "feeling" should I be getting. Thats all I'm looking for. Pretty simply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01