Showing the umps slow-mo videos of their bad calls?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Well, that just isn't true.

No problem. Who is going to pay for the equipment, the licensing, the installation and operation? Who will pay for the daily maintenance and security? Then who will an the monitors? How will they communicate with those on the field and, btw, who is going to pay for the power used? And then there is the storage of the data.

Now, mulitply that by every field in the country. Be prepared for each tournament to limit the number of teams which will increase the cost per team, substantially.

It's hard enough for us to get someone to man the scoreboard. :eek:

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
True story.....I had an ump reverse a call after watching a parent's video during the game! I still can't believe it and the call went my way. This happened last year at a tournament. There was a play at home which the girl was safe. The ball was then thrown to first where the 2nd baseman didn't have her foot on the bag, matter a fact was 3 steps closer to home when she caught it but the ump called out. Well the place went nuts and some where during this time a parent yelled I have it on video. The ump calls time walks off the field and into the stands to the parent and asks to see the video. LOL. I though he was going to eject some fans because of all the yelling. After watching the video he reversed his call!!!! I don't believe this happened but it did. I was on the winning side of the call but eventually lost the game. I was coaching 3rd in front of the opposing team's dugout and you cna imagine the stuff I was hearing. In the end they won the game and afterwards me and the other coach did laugh about it.

Mar 13, 2010
I had a coach do this a couple of weeks ago. We were having our game videod for some stupid reason and the umpire made one of the worst decisions I've ever seen (I was at first, had taken the ball, come off the base and was in the process of throwing to the pitcher when she hit the base. Called safe. When even the batter is stunned at the call, you know it's bad!) He was shown the footage after the game by my smart alec coach. He started screaming about how video lies and how we should respect umpires and what not.

Next week he came and I kid you not I did not get one strike called. Fingers crossed he's not on my GF!

Umpires, like most humans do not like to be told they're wrong. Someone walking up with video to 'prove' they're wrong will only get an umpire's back up. If they want to know what they're doing wrong, they would be getting video done themselves.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Umpires, like most humans do not like to be told they're wrong. Someone walking up with video to 'prove' they're wrong will only get an umpire's back up. If they want to know what they're doing wrong, they would be getting video done themselves.

You are absolutely wrong. A good umpire's biggest critics are him/herself and fellow umpires. And during training and during some game, we do capture some video, but to help, not disparage. I constantly receive requests on rulings from local umpires, but not because they want a pat on the back. They want to know if they understand the rule and circumstance so they do not make that mistake ever again.

A good umpire will only kick a certain rule once. Why? Because anytime there is a ruling brought into question, that umpire will double-check themself after the game. Umpires who assume they are correct because they may remember, or think they remember, hearing something said at this clinic or that school and never check are not good umpires.

We know we make mistakes. You can only call what your eyes tell you they saw. I've worked 6-umpire crews and you still cannot get every possible angle to every possible play. It is what it is. Don't like what you see on the field, work to improve it and that isn't going to happen by sitting back and whining.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd