Showcase strategy: What do you think of this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Showcase directors want to stay on schedule, which is why games are drop dead. It is also hard to count wins and loses when the home team does not necessarily get last at bat.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I do not keep score or collect stats during showcases. Too busy spending time with college coaches for such nonsense. We have a team local to Orlando that is notorious for posting their won-loss record at showcases. Masters of stat inflation and under delivering at the next level.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'd be BS at the coach if I were the pitcher or a college coach. Essentially the showcase coach just offered a vote of no confidence in the pitcher during the one at bat that I would really want to see as a college coach. At some point in college a pitcher will have to face a good hitter with the game on the line.

Dec 15, 2012
You are here to showcase your players - period. Coaches recruit players not teams. If a coach is watching your pitcher, they want see how they perform. Including how they perform under pressure. Intentionally walking the last batter does a disservice to the team. Put yourself in the shoes of a college coach. What do you think they want to see? They want to see how the girls respond under pressure.

Jun 12, 2015
That's a shame. The coach had a chance to showcase (pun intended) his pitcher in a big spot and instead took the ball out of her hands.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am sure the college coaches watching the game could care less bout either teams record , But I bet they would love to see how that pitcher or batter handled the pressure situation at the end of a game. I think the coach that called for the walk did both teams a disservice.

How much less? :)

Dec 19, 2012
So, we're playing in a showcase. It's 90 minutes drop dead, finish the batter. ...

Game is tied, bottom of the 6th. Home team has runners 2nd/3rd when time expires, but final batter coming up. There is 1 out.

Opposing coach has his pitcher throw every pitch over the plate - but 6 feet high. Basically an intentional walk to preserve the tie.

There is no bracket play, no trophies. There are published standings based on W-L records over the 5-game round-robin.

So,is this good strategy, or chicken sh!t?

Stupid move on the coaches part. Nobody in that scenario got showcased....not the pitcher, batter, catcher, runners, and fielders. Was this Atlanta Legacy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG