Follow up weekend Zoom Into June Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Let me start off by saying a special thanks to an individual that helped with WarriorAngela this weekend. Mike-Coach Q. Prior to this event, he spoke to Angela as a mental coach, and walked her through the process of being a pitcher and how to be better....mentally. What you said to her Mike was extremely helpful to make her better on the circle/mound this weekend. I saw a lot better pitching from her this weekend. Plus how to deal with the stress and pressure in front of college scouts. It was really cool to see her smile and be more positive out there. MY friend a big thank you again......

So this weekend was super exciting. WarriorAngela took part in her first college show case on a 16U team. We were in Chino Hills, Big League Dreams for three days. I'm irritated that I had to pay $5 per adult to get in. So $30 bucks just to get in for me and WarriorMama just to walk in the gates of pearl to see dd play. Stupid when they gouge you on food and cant bring in your own coolers.:( Anyways....... Angela started Friday night. Not gonna lie I was a nervous wreck seeing my dd pitch in "Big Tyne" league. She has been having some struggles with pitching so we got her pitching coach involved for three day lessons to get her fined tuned and Mike-Coach Q to seal the deal. Well hard work paid off. Pitching was beautiful . Only one walk for 4 innings. No strikeouts, but it was quick outs. Not taking away credit from the opposing team because they were good too. Our second pitcher came in the last half of the game. We lost but I was reminded that it was a showcase not a tournament . There are no winners or loosers (yea right :p;)) BUUUUTT wait there's more. Angela hit a standup double with her new 2017 Xeno. Went to the fence. We thought it was gonna go over. So her Xeno is her new "baby" now.

Saturday was good too. Another standup double with a strikeout when she was pitching in the mix. She only pitched the first half of the first game of the day. I think we lost that one. However we were winning when she got pulled so I had to break it down to her that she wasn't charged with the loss. Second game wasn't to good to her. We had bases loaded and two outs. All we needed was a single and we were back in the game . Yea she struck out. LOL It happens.... Right? Game ended in a tie

Sunday was another fun-day. Faced a good team. Angela got rocked on. LOL . Seems that there were better hitters on this team. She ended up striking out a batter and she struck out. We lost that game, again just enjoying the day. Last game was tie, she didn't pitch at all, but on the stick went 1-2 with a hard grounder to 3rd. Had not the SS been there, one of her hits would have been a single on a error. Although one of the hits was a hard grounder back to pitcher, for a single and a RBI. She loves her new Xeno!!

Last but not least I happened to meet up with a fellow DFP member, "Striker" Nice family and his dd had a great hit to deep center/Left. I believe it was a triple if not mistaken. She seems like shes better now!! LOL . Mark it was really cool meeting up with you and your family. Your wife referred to me twice yesterday as "Jake from State Farm" Hey man we really got to stop those late nite texts!! LMAO :cool:

All in all the experience was great. At one point we had Cornell, Yale, Harvard and Clarion to mention a few other college coaches sitting in our stands watching our games this weekend. Great experience for sure!

Heres the Recap

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds like you and DD had a great weekend WM!! That is awesome! We are really just starting the whole recruiting thing also and had an interesting weekend. DD's team was involved in a local tournament, but a coach from her top choice happened to stop by to watch. DD was brought into the game as a relief pitcher and gave up 2 runs in 2 innings, but pitched well otherwise. We still won the game. She was bummed because of her performance while the coach was there, but responded well later. She pitched later in the day giving up 1 run in 4 innings and then threw a complete game shutout on Sunday. She had a disappointing weekend with the bat, hitting several deep fly balls that were caught, but nearly every ball was hit hard. Overall the team played well enough to earn second place. Very good start to her season!

Jun 7, 2016
So Cal
It was great meeting up with you and your family "Jake", I mean Mike. LOL!

Ashley was a little sore yesterday from the hit she took on Saturday but she wasn't going to let that stop her. I was able to watch Angela in the circle for a couple innings on Saturday. She looked strong and confident out there leading her team. Great job Mike-Coach Q on helping her be focused. She has a great future ahead of her and I look forward to the privilege of seeing her grow through the process. Proud of what both our DDs accomplished in their first showcase.

It was definitely a great experience. Looking forward to the next big show. Good luck to you guys in Colorado.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I appreciate the positive feedback but it's all Angelia. I connected with WM on this site and it turned out we live about 45 minutes from each other. I told him, I liked WA 's swing he had posted. He mentioned she was slumping at the plate. I told him I had some mental exercises I used with my daughter when she played ball and if they were willing I'D be happy to share. So, after Mike google searched my name lol we met. Angelia was so awesome from the second we met, we talked about her softball goals and desires and how she approached the game. We spent an hour and a half going over strategies and ways to improve her focus, approach, and response to the outcome of the game. I told her that high achievers; think and act differently and compared that to how she thinks and acts. When I do this with athletes, I have no plan so, I'm always surprised where this takes us. Her hitting improved, but would have without my help I know that. She came back for another meeting of the minds and we focused on pitching. Glad and happy for her success. Great kid, great family.

What started me on this journey was my daughter and her inability to reach her potential. Good athlete, hard worker, but always fell short of expectations. The exercises and talks we had over the years helped her achieve her desire to play college ball. Good luck with your DD and her journey, it's worth it

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Sounds like you and DD had a great weekend WM!! That is awesome! We are really just starting the whole recruiting thing also and had an interesting weekend. DD's team was involved in a local tournament, but a coach from her top choice happened to stop by to watch. DD was brought into the game as a relief pitcher and gave up 2 runs in 2 innings, but pitched well otherwise. We still won the game. She was bummed because of her performance while the coach was there, but responded well later. She pitched later in the day giving up 1 run in 4 innings and then threw a complete game shutout on Sunday. She had a disappointing weekend with the bat, hitting several deep fly balls that were caught, but nearly every ball was hit hard. Overall the team played well enough to earn second place. Very good start to her season!

Check out Mike-Coach Q last post please . Might be helpful.....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Check out Mike-Coach Q last post please . Might be helpful.....

Yes. I am a true believer in mental approach, and it is something we work on nearly every day, even if we are not working on softball. I believe the same principles can be utilized in school, work, or whatever else you happen to be involved in. I am actually very proud of DD's mental approach. She is not a great athlete, but her mental approach and softball IQ allow her to be successful. In most cases, I am the one in need of the confidence boost. I swear that I am typically much more nervous than she is. She always seems to find a way to surprise me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414