Show it and throw it drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember,

Ive watched my daughter and have had a question on the wrist position/wrist snap for awhile just wasnt sure how to word it. From your
explanation above it sounds like you dont cock the wrist straight back at all. Like practicing flips. My daughter looks like she cocks it back and
sidewars...as if she was pulling her thumb back up the inside of her forearm. Kinda sideways and back. I assumed it was due to coming down prior to release the ball/palm is facing away from her towards thirs and this would be a natural snap. Is that not correct. Your explaination seems
to say just a half cock straight back but not until the downswing?

Hope some of that makes sense......Thanks

Sponge....The wrist should NOT be puposely cocked in any direction during the start of the pitch. It should be relaxed. I do not want my pitchers to "open the wrist" during any phase of the arm swing......With the exception of peel drop AT RELEASE.....

When I say "cocked open", it can be described like this: With your arm extended out toward the catcher, palm facing down, flex your wrist so your fingers face up to the sky......Another example would be to hang your arm to the side, palm facing backwards, and flex the wrist so the fingers face the catcher..........

This is termed as "DORSI-FLEXION" of the wrist. Dorsi-flexion causes tension in the wrist/forearm/bicep.......We need the wrist joint to be "tension free"......If you "preset" tension, you are "turning off" the muscle groups that allow for proper whip and natural release. Internal rotation is inhibited because you cannot internally rotate properly with the dorsi-flexed wrist.

Given that fact, dorsi-flexion IS the position that "roll-over" drop pitchers attempt to achieve at the last phase of the pitch, say around 3:00 to release. Notice I said "attempts". Because centrifugal force is "fighting" this position all the way through the circle. Dorsi-flexion is also ALLOWED not forced, to open the wrist at release for peel drop trajectory......

When performing the "show it throw" drill, when we reach the top, we want to "allow the ball/wrist" to drop forward because it IS tension free........It will "whip" back to neutral during the down swing..........

Hope this helps.......

BTW, the girl I've shown in my clips is NOT my DD. She is a division 1 PAC 10 pitcher who is a student of mine from age 14. Ironically, she is a "second generation" student of mine. Her aunt was my DD's catcher thoughout their travel and college careers, and received a full ride WITH my DD to Loyola as a "battery"........

My "pitching" DD is now 30, and has long since graduated from Loyola after setting both school and NCAA records during her career in college. She was trained from 9 years old by me exclusively using the methods I describe here.

My pitching DD is now a very successful pitching coach on her own, using the methods she understands so intimately.........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors