Should we move up??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2020
So my DD is currently 7 Years old (Turn 8 in August) and is playing for a 8u team, well the team has had trouble finding tournaments to play in due to not enough 8u teams ever signing up to play. We recently had a parent meeting with the coaches and they are deciding moving the team up to 10u will be a great way to play in more tournaments. the issue i am facing is that this is my daughters 1st year playing travel ball and 1st full season actually playing couch pitch, she just moved up to coach pitch last fall. My DD one of the youngest players on the team and is still developing so in tournament she does sit on the bench a lot of the time. which is not a issue to me. i know she has to put work in and has to be able to work her self to a position on the field. my question is, do you think a 8 year old playing up in 10u a good thing or a bad?? i have always heard playing up challenges a player. i just hope that true. i don't want her to lose interest if she has to sit every tournament. im just trying to see what other parents think about it?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Based on the information you have provided for your DD, I would recommend against moving up to 10U. If she was one of the top 8U players, it would probably be fine. Since she's not one of the top players on an 8U team, I don't see a lot of benefit to putting her in a position where she will struggle more, especially since she is so new to the game. This could quickly be a path to frustration and a loss of enjoyment of playing the game.

Jan 7, 2020
Based on the information you have provided for your DD, I would recommend against moving up to 10U. If she was one of the top 8U players, it would probably be fine. Since she's not one of the top players on an 8U team, I don't see a lot of benefit to putting her in a position where she will struggle more, especially since she is so new to the game. This could quickly be a path to frustration and a loss of enjoyment of playing the game.

Thank you for your input, i do agree with you, when me and my wife had a conversation the other night about this topic that was one of my main concerns, that last thing i ever want is her to lose the love she has for softball.

Mar 20, 2019
Unless she's one of the top players I wouldn't move her up. She's already not playing much, so there's a big risk of her losing interest in the game fast. (Then I'm also not a big fan of travel teams under 10 years old)

How old are most of the other girls?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2020
Unless she's one of the top players I wouldn't move her up. She's already not playing much, so there's a big risk of her losing interest in the game fast. (Then I'm also not a big fan of travel teams under 10 years old)

How old are most of the other girls?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

most of the girls are 8 or 9 years old. there are two 7 going on 8 year olds. Her losing interest is one of my main concerns, we are committed to this team till December so we will finish the year out and then make a decision from there, she was doing great and getting more playing time before this COVID issue but since they locked everything down i havent been able to work with her like i want. i work Law Enforcement so i was working more during this pandemic.

Mar 6, 2016
Agree with others...a player should be one of top players on team and her own age group before she should play "up".

Also, is there not Rec league in your area? 8u Travel teams??? WTH?? I guess the options are VERY different in various parts of country. The definition of what a real true "Travel Ball" team is as well it appears.

My younger daughter played "up" at age 6 in 8u and again at 8 into 10u, but it was Rec and she had to go through tryouts in both age divisions and then drafted in top 15 players each time. But I would never even thought about Travel Ball at that age. But...like I said...we had a Rec league as our first option.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you for your input, i do agree with you, when me and my wife had a conversation the other night about this topic that was one of my main concerns, that last thing i ever want is her to lose the love she has for softball.

Trust your instincts on what you think is best for your DD's health and development.

Something important to keep in mind....At her age and experience, one of the very most important things for her skill development is getting reps in both games and practice. A lower level of play with more time in the game will serve her a lot better right now than being a sub on a higher level team.

Thank you for your service as a LEO. Stay safe!

Sep 19, 2018
our 8U rec league is coach pitch, everyone hits every inning, 'outs' only start 1/2 through the season. Even with 3 outs, everyone hit. At 8 yo, it made no sense for her to do another year of that. I moved her to 10U Rec and she had a great experience.

For her Rec League: 1 practice + 1 game or 2 games each week was more than enough softball.
While all travel girls also play rec in our area, for the most part she was as good as most other girls. She would not have enjoyed playing nearly as much if should couldn't compete because of the age and competition.

The following year, she did do travel. 3 practices plus a double header friendly each week was way more softball than she wanted. She stepped back and has stayed with Rec the last 2 seasons. Now, 11, I am hoping she'll step back into travel this fall.

It is her journey, let her lead and do what is going to make her happy (within normal parenting limits of course).

cmn

Nov 29, 2009
There is a HUGE physical difference between a girl going on 8 yrs old compared to a girl heading to 11 yrs old. There are 11's with a good softball birthday putting them in position to still play 10U. I have seen some 10's who smoked the ball to a 200' fence multiple times or a catcher who could throw out runners consistently.. Not a place for an inexperienced 8 year old player.

As others have said. Unless she is a top player on the team she should not be playing up. The parents are about to find out just how frustrating a season can be when the girls keep getting trounced badly week after week. The other parents need to be warned. Be careful what you ask for. You just may get it.

My DD has an early February birthday. She was eligible to play down when she played. I never did that. She was always one of the biggest and strongest kids on the team. It would have been a mistake to do it.

Aug 25, 2019
I think there shouldn't be any 8u TB teams, that age group should stick in rec. If your DD is good enough, then find a 10u team that would take her. I've umpired 8u in rec, while it's a rough game, I understand its a learning process.......I wouldn't want to ump a 8u tournament game though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma