Should DD play TB and Rec??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
DD is new to a TB team. (10U) They will only be playing one tournament a month for Sept, Oct, and Nov...many more come Spring.
Since she is a pitcher, I was wanting to get her more pitching experience. What are your thoughts on me signing her up for Fall Rec ball to get her more pitching time?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The issue is whether it is just "ego stroking" for you as a parent. That is, the only reason you want her to play is prove her (i.e., "your") superiority. (I don't believe you are that kind of person.)

So, if she is an overpowering, strike every-one-out pitcher, then no, she shouldn't play, because there is nothing to be gained.

But, assuming she is your average 10U pitcher that needs some mound time to get better, then I would sign her up and enjoy the games.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks for the compliment, Ray!
And I'm really NOT considering this so I can see her be the beast on the mound... :)
I just think she won't be getting consistent mound time, and I'm not too sure that's a good thing.

Feb 24, 2010
Sign her up for fall ball, but don't be surprised if it's the last time she plays rec.

Had the same situation with my DD. She practiced all winter long with TB team as well as pitched on her own 3-4x/week indoors. She wanted to pitch for TB team but since she was just learning I told her that rec would be where she needed to start. After playing a few TB tournaments this spring the rec league started. Pitched first game - faced 10 struck out 9 (they all bunted after the first batter). After game she said she didn't want to play rec anymore, not because of the pitching but because of the level of play - she could throw the ball to them without worrying about hurting them. I told her that she made a comittment to the rec team and she needed to play. Needless to say, she won't be playing rec anymore, unless she wants to. She eventually did pitch for TB team, but the game experience she got in rec helped.

Apr 8, 2010
my whole tb team plays a schedule at a local rec association. the biggest issue i face is the opposing coaches and parents thinking we're just there to beat up on people...not the case - just looking for more games. in fact we lost to one of them a couple nights ago!

so if ur dd is significantly better than the average rec pitcher, be prepared to hear moaning and groaning from the opposing people. but will it help her - probably just b/c of the extra circle time she'll be getting. and as long as she understands the difference between a rec player and a tb player, she will adjust well between the two levels of play.

im a big advocate for rec ball. it gives lesser players, or those players/familes who dont want to commit to a tb lifestyle, a place to play and have fun. im lucky that our local rec association has a few decent teams (some on par with A and B level tb teams) so we can get some decent competition there. my son plays rec baseball exclusively b/c it doesn't interfere with his soccer. he couldnt commit to a travel team even if he wanted to.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD played both this year, and the biggest adjustment she faced between the two is that she has actually had more success in TB because the ball was put in play more, and she actually threw far fewer pitches because of the better fielding behind her. In rec, so many batters don't swing and look for walks, that she would get frustrated when she was around the plate but not "right down the middle". Balls put in play were also not sure outs. It taught her that she actually needed to concentrate more and throw far more strikes in rec than TB, which was more positive than negative for her development this year. The problem I see down the line is that she can't throw the meatballs in TB that she has to in rec to get outs, so I am on the fence about her playing rec in the future. But as far as playing and getting more time in the circle, the more the better when they are just starting.

Feb 9, 2009
well, luckily I didn't have to decide...

Spoke with HC about my concern regarding DD's lack of consistent game pitching, and he informed me that the team was just registered to play in a seperate league that plays double headers once a week...

YAY!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414